Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ridge trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
svtxtreme
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Yep, just mapped doing the BRP. Start at Fancy Gap. Va and on to Cherokee. Shows it to be about 8.5 hrs. Anyone done that stretch? Was wondering what real time was for stops and goes....

I am not saying you can do it in one day but......

There are so places to stop and see along the way.

Stations Inn
Boone / Blowing Rock ( we seem to stay about 2-3 hrs every times we go through there)
Grandfather Mountain (at least 1hr visit)
Mt Mitchell (at least 1hr visit)
Historic landmarks
A number of pull offs with great views.

Also gas in not right on BRP. you may go a mile or more off the BRP to fill up.

Jeff

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
amerseth
Novice

Wow! What a great bunch of info... Now I am just getting too excited for January to be this cold up here in Maine. Wondering if I should do the run before the Rolling Thunder? or immediately after? Anybody know if the traffic picks up drastically after Memorial Day or if there is a better time for blossoms and such?
again, wow!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

svt, we have 2 weeks so plenty of time. I was figuring some stopovers along the way. Won't be carrying a tent, so will need some lodging of some sort.

We went to Cherokee via Gatlinburg way a couple of summers back, so we're gonna head that way coming in from the other way. Probably cross over the Smokeys again, take the bypass past Gat and stay off the main drag going thru PF and take the interstate back home from there.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second staying out of Gatlinburg, as well as Sevierville and Pigeon Forge, but there are some great roads nearby.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 476 Likes on 251 Posts

Given you mentioned Rolling Thunder.... consider a half day spent at the D-Day Memorial in Bedford VA http://www.dday.org/ as time well spent. I'd avoid the Dragon friday afternoon, through Sunday. I perfer Tuesday through Thursday around 9-11 AM, squids and "real" bikers are sleeping it off, leaving the road traffic free. Others have mentioned great roads as well.

Ridgetop Motel in Bryson City is biker friendly, affordable, plenty of food choices nearby, and in a WET county

Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles long , speed limits rang from 35 to 45. Those people in white trucks do NOT take kindly to speeding... and it's a FEDERAL ticket...

I suppose it WOULD be possible , on a summer day, to do the entire lenght, at the speed limit... but in MY opinion that would miss the point of the BRP entirely.

Avoid the torist traps....

Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
amerseth
Novice
Thumbs up wicked good info

Thank you so much for the heads-up about the times and days of the dragon's traffic! Right now it looks like rolling down to Tennessee during the weekend through PA, taking my time, so that all the great parkway riding is done on weekdays. This is really getting me a clearer picture of structuring this ride.
My hat's off to all of you with this wonderful advice...
...if ya can't keep the shiny side shiny, at least keep it up!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a real good chance that myself and a few other couples will be making our way down there, the week of memorial day week. We'll have to keep in touch and maybe we could meet up. If you haven't been there is some very awesome riding! Just be careful on taking the turns wide, most of the more aggressive riders are huging the yellow line

Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
rbcubic
Intermediate

You mentioned a great breakfast; try the Bluff's Restaurant. There is also a Lodge across the street. Check out this site… http://www.virtualblueridge.com/

Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 AM
wayned
Stage III

Thanks for the question Amerseth. I am also planning a solo trip this summer down the Blue Ridge and the info everyone gave you sure will help me also.

Wayned

Old 01-17-2009, 08:00 PM
desert-boater
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the trip last year with two buddies. We went South - North. Biggest mistake was to spend the night in Asheville... we did not enjoy that place. Some bars but mainly catering to the college population there... Little Switzerland was nice, so was the area around Boone. We went late summer.. awesome ride and great views! Will do again this year (but spend night somewhere around Boone).

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge trip