Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Road Trip - Daytona

Old 10-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Shadofaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Road Trip - Daytona

Thought if it's okay, I wanted to post a few of my observations from my first-ever road trip. I started riding seriously this year and had never been on an over-nighter. With my wife's permission (she's a sweetheart) I decided to try Biketoberfest - alone and riding from Michigan.

Itinerary:
Wednesday 10/18 - Left my house (after a long day at work) at 4:38 pm. Made it to Marietta, OH. (300+ miles) around 9:00 pm after seeing one too many deer next to the highway for my liking.

Thursday 10/19 - Rode roughly 850 miles to my hotel in St. Augustine.

Friday 10/20 - Rode to Daytona, got the souveniers, got the HOG pin, watched the people and did the ceremonial cruise up/down the main street. Then took A1A back to St. Augustine. Pure beauty. 90+ degrees, being from Michigan I just couldn't ask for more.

Saturday 10/21 - Original plan was to stay another day but the weather reports for Sunday were grim and Monday were worse. Decided to head back. Left at 7:00 and landed just south of Knoxville, TN around 5 pm (approx 600 miles).

Sunday 10/22 - Left Knoxville at 6:30 am and pulled into my garage, Tecumseh, MI. at 3:25 pm (approx 500 miles).

What a ride!

Observations/lessons of this trip (some good, some not so good):
- If you have to sneeze, don't forget to lower your balaclava BEFORE the actual event.

- Never, never pull into Knoxville, TN the evening of a Tennesee home football game! I had to negotiate my motel room DOWN to $109 ... for a lousy bed!

- People in Florida think I-95 is the speed limit ... and they most likely do 10-over. Just hang on and watch out for the occasional little old ... person ... doing 45 in one of the right lanes!!!!

- Oh yeah, if a cage has a Harley sticker, it don't mean they ride. If they did they wouldn't get so close to your backside that if you farted the cager would say "whew!".

- Just for understanding ... I'm not riding slow, there were times I was approaching triple-digits and still being passed!

- Don't know who you are but thanks to the RKC that hooked up with me in Virgina on the way down ... you made a tedious time fun for that 100 or so miles.

- For those with radio/tunes ... if you're ever jammin' to the music and singing along to pass the time ... don't look up at the truck driver next to you as you are singing the lyrics "... I love you" to any tune ... even if it is old-tyme rock. If he smiles back, hit the throttle!

- Seriously maintain the 2-second rule ... saved my @ss twice when I was able to see blown tire tread in the road.

- Daytona knows how to throw a party! I thought women walked around in chaps and bikini only in my dreams!

- Three words for us pale, old Michiganders going to Florida ... sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen ... even if the Georgia air temp is 55 ... coat thy face or you'll end up looking like your going to blow-up ... or your nose already did ... or both.

- Motorcycle boots for riding ... not walking.

- Next year I am going with some other people.

- You're only as old as you feel.

Thanks for reading. I posted a couple of groups of pix in the Touring forum here:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_872671/tm.htm

Old 10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior
Default RE: First Road Trip - Daytona

Souns like you enjoyed yourself

Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't no stoppin ya now!!

Time and miles melt away when riding the highways. That's a great start and a humorous accounting on what Harleys (at least touring models) are for.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post and thanks for sharing. Be careful. Those long solo trips are like drugs. The more you take the more you want.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Tim

Old 11-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Kerrbon
Intermediate

That's a wild ride over a few days. Congratulations!

And thanks for sharing

Old 11-23-2006, 12:36 PM
billn
Intermediate

Great story!

You should receive an "Iron Butt" award for that ride.

Living in South Florida I agree with you reference I-95, no matter what speed you are traveling, someone will pass you. To your point, I was doing 110 once on I-95 in a C-5 Vette and a Mercedes passed me! ( I let him go )

I agree with some of the other posts, be careful on those solo rides, they can become addictive.

Good story.