Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Cpuccio
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did Stage 2, Harley's torque cam, on my '17 CVOSG 114, along with full exhaust and tune. I didn't do baseline dyno so don't know exact hp and tq increase on my bike, but it's very noticeable. Pulls a lot stronger from about 2500 rpm to redline. I recommend it! Plus a bit lumpier idle which I like.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2014 CVO Limited

This was my 2014 CVO Limited,It had 2/1/2 header, cvo mufflers with fullsac baffles, 57H cams and headwork @ Hultens. Pistons were stock 110" but CR bumped to 10.2, tuned with power vision. A ripper for sure but the new CVO114" with torque cam and stock exhaust is quieter and better on the bottom.

Attached Files
Old 07-27-2018, 08:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I have a '13 CVO Ultra.
The only performance work that I had was the Stage I with Rinehart XT True Duals.
I don't run bike to it's full OEM potential, just wanted to make sure that it ran as good and as cool as would be practical.
Not gonna be out running a crotch rocket so why worry about how fast it is?

I did have the hydraulic valve lifters replaced at 33,000 because of all the complaining/warnings of failure on this forum.
The only difference that I I have noticed it the "rattle" at about 2900 RPMS under light acceleration and I'm happy with that.

As it stands, it looks like my bike is depreciating at a rate of somewhere between $4-5000 per season so it looks like we'll be together for a long time even though I am planning on getting a Tri-Glide in the near future and giving my CVO away is not a very appealing option and putting more money into something with no possibility of getting any of it back is even less appealing.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 PM
whittaker727
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Not gonna be out running a crotch rocket so why worry about how fast it is?
I run two up 95% of the time, so the extra performance is to be able to run with guys who ride single. And who doesn't wan't more power?

Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Its usually more about the rider than the bike, lo! Don't take this the wrong way, I've met a (very) few riders over the years on similar, highly modded bikes that I had to work hard to keep up with but vast majority of the time, the stock bike has more capability than the rider's ability. I read about the magic of after market shocks even on newer Harleys but I routinely can scrape my floor boards on my limited in the twisties without too much effort and track true and sure at 50 mph in twisties marked with 20-25 mph speed limits. I read about higher performance cams, bigger injectors, exhausts on and on. Yet I just ran 900 miles in under 13 hours including gas stops. I've fooled around with crotch rockets from a dead stop and kept up with them till about 60 and then waved at them as they blew by me. That's plenty of performance on a 1000 lb bagger!
I only change things now if they bug me but it took me years of modding bikes to get there and realizing its not worth it for the most part.

The following users liked this post:
Carl Schattke (02-07-2021)
Old 07-28-2018, 03:28 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default CVO upgrades

Originally Posted by kojak
The more you hop up your engine, less reliable its going to be in my experience. More power, more heat and wear and tear.
Right on time, Heat, Heat, Heat, reliability, wear and tear.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:54 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

16 CVO SG. Once the catalytic converter was removed w/ full sac headers & the bike was reflashed (Techno Research)/ dyno tuned (Rosas Performance) so the correct air fuel ratio, timing was dialed in bike ran much cooler, not just from the elimination of the heat producing cat. by my right leg but engine temps went down so did temp readings on laser my heat gun. Not a crazy build just the pipe, flash, dyno tune - 98rwhp/114 ft lbs & bike really woke up but it not only ran stronger & sounds so much better w/ the govt mandated nannies eliminated but runs a lot smoother on & off throttle & at idle, even starts better & throttle response was really improved. If you want to keep in running reliably for a longer time & cooler get it tuned properly & get rid of the stuff that is there to meet govt bs but kills performance & makes it run like crap. A bike making more power but running perfectly will create a lot less wear & tear than one that’s running too rich or lean.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,956 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
The more you hop up your engine, less reliable its going to be in my experience. More power, more heat and wear and tear.
Originally Posted by e6fmf
Right on time, Heat, Heat, Heat, reliability, wear and tear.
I do not agree at all. A stock Harley motor runs extremely hot due to the lean EPA tune. A simple full exhaust which eliminates the Cat, and a good tune, and the bike runs cooler, not hotter.

My Built 2013 King runs 25 to 40 F cooler than it did stock, and I have a lot more compression and power. It no longer has a lean epa tune.

I have yet to have a built motor bike leave me stranded.

I can not say the same about Stock CVO bikes. My 15 CVO Road Glide Ultra left me stranded 400 miles from home, first day of a week vacation with a failed motor. HD had to replace it under warranty, with 44K miles on the bike, and 1 year 11 months and 28 days old. Not the only stock CVO that left me stranded. My 12 did also, as did my 09

Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

130/130 can be achieved with relative ease from a 110" engine, built correctly.
The heads need a few things attended to, and key areas result in big gains.
Our company Facebook has a dyno report from a client that had the age-old lifter failure, that then needed a cam as well.
With only a cam swap, OE t/body mods, and our simple Stage I CVO Head, 115/129, once tuned.
With a 58mm t/body that actually will align with the 1.750" cylinder head ports, our Stage II Heads, 10.5 pistons, and a Wood 9B cam, D&D Fatcat, that power jumps up dramatically, as an example.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:15 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You already have the tuner, pipes, next I'd put a HPI Throttle body in with a good air cleaner, then have it dynoed,
Several of my friends have the 2017 CVO dresser in different models, had had the HPI installed, they love it, Best kept secret out there.
It's about $650 for a 58MM. TB. Forget the cams and all the other stuff till you've tried this brand of throttle body.
Go to uTube and go to Cycle Solutions video, throttle body, My buddy Chris Weddle demonstrates several types of throttle bodies,
I'm not selling them, but my friends who own CVO's swear by them!

Quick Reply: CVO Upgrades?