Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help identifying front end and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help identifying front end and questions

Finally scored a dual disc front and for my 72 FLH. I need help identifying the year. I have a manual that covers FXWG's up to 84. The top tree is stamped 56120-60 and could fit anything from a 60 pan to an 90 FXST. So I have a few questions: (pics below on new post)

1. Is there a torque value on the stem nut or is it hand tight and no slop in tree?

2. Is the block on the lower tree with the bolt hole through it for a headlight mount?

3. Does the brake line TEE attach to the bolt which holds the headlight mount block under the bottom tree?

4.Why is the bottom tree tapped in the center? (See pic 5)

5. Is there a pin or retainer that goes in the hole just ahead of the stem? There are no threads in that hole.

6. What do you suppose the broken screw was holding in The center of the top tree?

7. Axle consists of axle, nut, toe washers and a spacer. Where do the washers and spacer go? Manual says left side on up to 84, but this could be a different year.

Phew...yeah, lots of questions. Answer what you can.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 12-07-2016, 11:50 AM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill wallace
Finally scored a dual disc front and for my 72 FLH. I need help identifying the year. I have a manual that covers FXWG's up to 84. The top tree is stamped 56120-60 and could fit anything from a 60 pan to an 90 FXST. So I have a few questions: (pics below on new post)

1. Is there a torque value on the stem nut or is it hand tight and no slop in tree?

2. Is the block on the lower tree with the bolt hole through it for a headlight mount?

3. Does the brake line TEE attach to the bolt which holds the headlight mount block under the bottom tree?

4.Why is the bottom tree tapped in the center? (See pic 5)

5. Is there a pin or retainer that goes in the hole just ahead of the stem? There are no threads in that hole.

6. What do you suppose the broken screw was holding in The center of the top tree?

7. Axle consists of axle, nut, toe washers and a spacer. Where do the washers and spacer go? Manual says left side on up to 84, but this could be a different year.

Phew...yeah, lots of questions. Answer what you can.
I'll try to answer a couple of them for Ya Bill but my answers might be wrong but this is how they are on my bikes.
1. Refer to manual on setting the fall away would be my guess.
2. Yes that is where the head light mounts on my 85 and 72 both with Wide Glide front ends
3. No it should attach to the tapped hole in the center of the bottom of the tree and the tapped hole on the right side back part of the top tree.
4. Brake line mounts there
5.The hole is for the steering stem lock washer as it has a tab on it
6. Not sure what the hole was for
7. Not sure on that one either

Last edited by E-Cigrettman; 12-09-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: correction
The following users liked this post:
Bill wallace (12-07-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Don't worry about the trees that one will fit MANY years and pay more attention to the legs and what brake calipers & rotors you need for it, that's the bigger issue.

Oh yeah that hole in the bottom in the welded area ? that's usually where the tee goes for the brakes lines and light sending unit.