Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Fuel Issue maybe Carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by brad75raiders
Guy on eBay sells them for 3000$
Wow, that condenser must be made of gold......lol...

Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Miranda Philen
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobofang
First would like to say thank you for all the help in the past finally got her running and it was going good.

77 Shovel 1200cc with a S&S E Carb

After about 15 rides running good, I was coming home from work and hit the throttle and the bike started jumping and sputtering. Even holding the throttle slightly it was surging power and then finally turned off. Pulled over and checked gas, had about a 1/4 tank, waited a min and fired right back up and got a little bit down the road before the surging started again and turned off. (Happen about 5 more times before i got home.) From the way it looks to me is that there is not enough fuel getting to the carb to keep it running... (I guess) Inline Fuel filter not really filling up with gas. It will fill to the top if i leave the petcock open (bike off) for about 30 mins or so then the bike will run for awhile until the filter gets low/dry. it looks like there is is not enough suction pulling enough gas, but dont really know hence why I am here.

Have done the normal google search and started working on some of the simple things.

Pulled the gas caps off (No difference)
Pulled Petcock. Cleaned and checked the flow (Cleaned and flowing great)
Pulled Inline fuel filter (Now Clean)
Fuel line going from the filter to the carb runs between the heads.

Next step im guessing is the Carb, Which is new territory for me.

If the bowl of the carb is dirty will that cause the carb to not pull enough gas?
just curious if you figured out the issue? Having the same with my 77. Changed coil, spark plugs, got a new ignition system, rewired a few things, now I’m noticing no gas going into float bowl but not into the carb..... idk wtf happened. Jets are clean. Carb seems to be clean... at a complete loss.