Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Issue with my 69 flh

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:21 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

'69 kicker cover should have a plug that can be removed and a kicker added.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by jdc75
well my fears were correct. It's locked up rear wheel will not turn when in high gear. Tried to push it on the garage floor in all gears and the rear tire just drags. I tried spraying the crap out of it with pb blaster and tried marvel mystery oil with no look. Looks like I have a bigger winter project on my hands now.
You haven't laid out any history on the bike so it is a bit of a crap shoot. Herz my thought. At this point you can't be sure if it is the motor that is locked up or the transmission that is suspect. I would pull the primary cover, remove the primary chain, and put the nut for the motor sprocket back on. Then with the plugs out and the right socket I would try to rotate the motor. It will either turn or it won't. If it does the problem is in the transmission; if it does not, then you have motor issues.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM
jdc75
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
You haven't laid out any history on the bike so it is a bit of a crap shoot. Herz my thought. At this point you can't be sure if it is the motor that is locked up or the transmission that is suspect. I would pull the primary cover, remove the primary chain, and put the nut for the motor sprocket back on. Then with the plugs out and the right socket I would try to rotate the motor. It will either turn or it won't. If it does the problem is in the transmission; if it does not, then you have motor issues.
tried to rotate the engine with a socket and it won't move. Engine is seized up.

As for history, engine is original and has a big bore kit on it. Cases were welded back in 2009 and the welds appear to be good and look like they should hold up. Bike has not been run since 2010 as that's when it was parked at my uncles when my father passed away. Finally was able to get it to my place a few weeks ago and going through the bike now.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,489 Posts

K, sounds like it is time to pull the tanks and carb and pull the top end. Odd that the motor won't turn though, even after having sat for 7 years.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

sandy came through back then it might have been a flood bike

Old 09-08-2017, 02:16 PM
jdc75
Novice

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
sandy came through back then it might have been a flood bike
nope isnt a flooded bike. it was kept in a garage at my uncle's house

Old 09-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,486 Likes on 5,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jdc75
tried to rotate the engine with a socket and it won't move. Engine is seized up.
You did take the primary chain off...right?

I would mix ATF with acetone and pour as much as possible in the cylinders, and let it sit until you can break it loose...will make the top end much easier top take apart.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 AM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you plan on checking the motor by removing the outer primary cover and turning the compensating sprocket, or removing the primary chain, you'll be needing a "compensating sprocket shaft nut wrench" pt# 94557-55
Providing your motor is original.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM
jdc75
Novice

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
You did take the primary chain off...right?

I would mix ATF with acetone and pour as much as possible in the cylinders, and let it sit until you can break it loose...will make the top end much easier top take apart.
If the engine is in neutral do I need to take the chain off?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:41 PM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is never in neutral, the transmission is put in neutral.If the trans is locked up, the motor will not turn over. I had the same problem with a '68 Triumph. Problem was when it was stored, the exhaust valve was open and we had some really damp weather. The piston was at bottom dead center, and the cylinder was rusted from the rings to the top of the cylinder. Had to pull the head and jugs. Good news was a hone job and new rings and she was good to go.

Quick Reply: Issue with my 69 flh