Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Starter not working

Hey Guys,

Had to replace the starter pinion gear (use to call it the Bendix gear). Figured as long as starter was out, I’d take a look. The starter was running on 3 brushes. Rebuilt the starter. Starter passed all bench tests: stator good, commutator good and no open circuits. Hooked it to battery on bench and thing jumped so hard it scared me...so I’m pretty sure the starter is ok. New bendix gear and the solenoid works. Here’s a video I posted on you tube:

any ideas on why this is happening? I took the starter back out and spun the gear in the transfer housing and the jack shaft and pinion turned...so I’m guessing that’s ok. I’m stumped. It’s like the bendix is hung up or the starter just doesn’t have enough oomph to turn the motor. Maybe it is the starter. I dunno. I even took the plugs out. I only changed two brushes. I couldn’t desolder the ones soldered to the starter motor frame. Would that kill the starter motor power?

Last edited by Bill wallace; 06-10-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Is the starter motor even running? Soliniod is kicking starter gear. Did you undercut the communtator that the brushes run on and check it for run out?
When you put the new brushes on, did you form them by wrapping sandpaper on communtator and rotating?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-10-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer

The brushes were pre-formed with a curve to match the commutator. I polished the commutator but didn’t cut it. The starter motor spins when I hook jumper cables to it from a battery. It seems pretty robust. So you think the starter motor is suspect. Any suggestions?

Here’s my thought: you can hear the starter motor spinning while the pinion is locked on the clutch shell drive gear. The solenoid is pushing the pinion onto the clutch shell drive gear, but somewhere along the way it’s getting disconnected from the starter motor. The only place that could happen is in the starter drive housing. my guess is the jackshaft isn’t engaged on the drive gear. . But if that were the case, I don’t know if the primary cover would go back on. And it does the same thing with the primary cover on or off.

Last edited by Bill wallace; 06-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Well in the video the bendix shaft is kicking out far enough it's coming out of the spline in the reduction gear in the starter housing is what I'm seeing. Hang the primary cover on with a few bolts and try again.

The following users liked this post:
Bill wallace (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:25 AM
55 Pan
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Well in the video the bendix shaft is kicking out far enough it's coming out of the spline in the reduction gear in the starter housing is what I'm seeing. Hang the primary cover on with a few bolts and try again.
you cant test the starter and bendix with the primary cover off.. what he said above.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Still doing it. Glad it’s been crappy and raining here.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Just a passing thought when I read you mention the jackshaft not staying engaged with the drive gear. Before you put the cover on did you remember to put the thrust washer back on the end of the starter shaft. If not that could kick it off the gear as soon as you hit the starter button.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Panz...great minds think alike! Yeah, gonna look into that. Got a ten foot solid oak table to get out of my shop and to the customer. Wife wants pay-day!

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I’m going to take the gear drive apart because I sho-nuff don’t remember a thrust washer going in there and not having a thrust washer would cause this. I also didn’t remember there being a spacer on the pinion (jack-shaft for us old-timey types) shaft. So I held the pinion gear out with a screw driver and looked back there with a mirror and didn’t see a spacer. Soooo...gotta do some tearing apart.

this is weird: when I pulled the pinion out and slipped the screwdriver in, (see pic) the starter motor kicked on. What In The world would cause that? No, I didn’t touch the solenoid terminals. And there are no capacitors in this system. Ignition was off. Never heard of that.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

Do you have a stock or aftermarket outer primary? Aftermarket primaries are often recessed where the starter shaft nut inserts. There are longer nuts available to remedy this.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 AM
sleighcrane
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe when you pull the pinion gear out manually it closes the contacts in the solenoid energizing it. Watch your fingers!!

Bill wallace (06-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Starter not working