Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

help! growling primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 AM
chitown
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! growling primary

I recently replaced my chain drive primary with a belt drive and have two issues. I can't get it in first gear when setting still, even with the bike running. I have to rock or push it to get it to engage. Also when it is first started I get a growling, chattery sound from the primary that I assume is the belt being cold.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Who's belt system ? Are you still using the inner primary cover ? BDL clutch pack will growl when the clutch lever is pulled in Sounds like ball bearings being spun in a large can

Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM
chitown
Novice

I am still useing the inner primary. As for the belt system I think its a BDL. The sound is like a bad vibration/chatter running through the frame originating at the primary drive. When I replaced it I didn't replace the clutch disk and wondered if that might be the problem. The real pain is the inability to get it in first-gear when stopped.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:58 PM
chitown
Novice

I am still useing the inner primary. As for the belt system I think its a BDL. The sound is like a bad vibration/chatter running through the frame originating at the primary drive. When I replaced it I didn't replace the clutch disk and wondered if that might be the problem. The real pain is the inability to get it in first-gear when stopped.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Is this a 11/2 belt When cold how much up and down play on the belt (top center of the belt) These belts must have at least 1/2 in play at the center cold If not I'll tell you how to get there Is this noise running down the road or when the clutch lever is pulled in ?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,261 Likes on 5,413 Posts

The clutch will rattle when run dry. Either your clutch is not adjusted properly, your belt is too tight or your belt pulleys are not aligned.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
chitown
Novice

It is the 1 1/2" belt and I'm sure it must have at least that much play. When I first installed it I was concerned it would be to loose. The noise only happens when releaseing the lever and most times when the system is cold. How do you adjust the tension?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
chitown
Novice

I followed all the instruction for installation of the system to achieve proper spaceing checking it with a depth mike from the primary case so I should be good on alignment and the clutch has never acted this way before and I've had it in and out at least a 1/2 dz times.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

I run my belts with 1 in play in the middle Is this an 8mm belt system without an idler ? Is this a closed system and are you venting the covers ? Does that belt clutch hub fit smooth over the roller bearings ? Lot's of questions !!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM
amfhd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throw away the belt and go back to the chain.

Quick Reply: help! growling primary