Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtone
Big difference between a reliable machine that requires little or no maintenance and "keeping something up" after it breaks down. No reason to insult my skills. I took one of my shovels on a 4k mile trip with very little problems. That does not mean it was trouble free. The fact that most shovels are deemed "problematic" is widely accepted more often than not.

Don't take it personal please , I get more than a little tired of the " Shovels are nothing but problems " posts . They are anything but if the owners pays attention to them .

No such thing as little on no maint. with any harley , they all need regular attention even if it's the daily look over before a ride . The problematic image is just that a perpetuated through rumor and 3rd hand word of mouth image not reality . There are more than few dedicated long term shovel owners in here that will back that up .

All of the MoCo engine designs had issues including the latest twin cam craze , how many upgrades and changes has that jewel been through in it's short life span already ?

A 4000 mile trip ? I've made as many 10 of those a yr on a 72 shovel with nothing more than the usual flat tires and a couple oil leaks , my last road trip was 7800 mi. over 6 wks on the road with an 88" engine in the same 72 . Only thing broke was my *** on that seat . Mine is not the only story like this , nobody wants to here the good only the bad .

Only " Bad " break down I ever had was a popped head gasket back in the mid 80's sometime and that was changed in a parking lot in a couple hours and the trip continued . Try that one with an evo or a twin cam .

The following users liked this post:
lucky23 (10-05-2017)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at you profile and other posts I can see that you are probably an exceptional mechanic and your bike does sound amazing for the reliability with all those miles. Definately a testament of your abilities. Unfortunately, that is not the case with everyone. The original poster, I am assuming here, sounds like an average rider, and may not posess all the skills that you do. I've seen people before that really don't do alot of wrenching themselves buy an older bike like that and basically go thru a ton of money paying someone else to fix it. The fact that he is trading even up with a dealer for this bike alarms me. A look around at the dealers in this area shows that most of the 'technicians' were not even born when shovelheads were being built. I would question their workmanship on this bike.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by bigtone
Looking at you profile and other posts I can see that you are probably an exceptional mechanic and your bike does sound amazing for the reliability with all those miles. Definately a testament of your abilities. Unfortunately, that is not the case with everyone. The original poster, I am assuming here, sounds like an average rider, and may not posess all the skills that you do. I've seen people before that really don't do alot of wrenching themselves buy an older bike like that and basically go thru a ton of money paying someone else to fix it. The fact that he is trading even up with a dealer for this bike alarms me. A look around at the dealers in this area shows that most of the 'technicians' were not even born when shovelheads were being built. I would question their workmanship on this bike.

Pretty much anybody with decent basic skills and common sense can maintain a shovel really , it doesn't take exceptional skills . Granted mine is over the top for 99% of the shovels out there but I don't do stock on my own stuff they have to be a couple steps over . Where most guys fall down is not taking care of the little stuff when it first rears it's head , in short order that will turn into a big problem almost everytime when you least need it too and that's with most bikes not just shovels . And your right unless the guy doing the work was raised around these things you better find a old school mech with some decent gray going on in the hair other wise they won't have a clue .

Thing with shovels they had several well know problimatic area's and there's very well established repairs or upgrades for everything , we've had 30 yrs to get it right and have believe me . Reliability wise mine is not exception honestly , she may look better than most but there's an awful lot of good reliable shovels out there being ridden daily still . I've got a decent little business going taking care of the ones the shops won't touch anymore even the indy's . I tip my hat to the guys with stock FLH bikes that still have all the OEM stuff on them , those are getting rare and you cannot beat the look they draw the eye everytime in a crowd .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
squirlshovel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i own an 81 flt shovel that i stripped down and converted to the roadking style. i have to agree with Twizted. {thanx for helping me with the wiring harness by the way alls going well}. if it is not abused it will last a life time. i know alot of people with shovels and they rarely have any kind of problem. mine ,however, is rubber mounted witch i think will be extremely dependable for me cause i wont have as much vibration for the engine to absorb to tear things up. if you wanna know about shovels, Twizted is the one to ask. again thank you for all the knowledge you share with us Twizted. by the way this is my third hd but its my first shovel. i stripped everything down and rebuilt it ALL so i know what i have. my point is ,with a bible and mechanic abilities ,yes, you too can own a shovel . i wouldnt trade mine for for an evo or tc to save yer a$$$.aint nuttin like a shovel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by squirlshovel; 01-22-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM
dex82
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Points well said. Shovels are very basic in design, form and function. They need servicing at more regular intervals, but properly maintained they are not going to need service more often. Folks riding today's modern iron are spoiled because things like service intervals on their machines are needed a lot less often. Heck the rear belts damn near will not wear out, and motors that are not treated like $**** seem to get some really high miles before a rebuild.

Shovels, pans, knuckles...2500 mile service intervals, rear chains, every 10k, top ends at about 40k. Guess as a pan rider I just do not get the philosophy "if you buy old iron you are going to be wrenching and not riding".

And as far as it being just a "bar hopper", another myth. Why is it, how is it that folks on new bikes think they are the ones who have seemingly invented long distance riding. Take a look at some old pics of riders on bikes from the 30/40/50. They sure a hell weren't "bar hoppers" and they weren't spoiled with paved roads and gadgets and attachments to the bike to make it ride like a Honda Gold Wing (no offense intended/implied to Gold Wings or HD Baggers).

You want long distance riders? Ever heard of the Cannonball Run? Coast to coast on 1915/earlier motorcycles.

Glydinrn, you obviously have a couple of nice modern baggers that fit the bill for the long distance stuff. If you get the shovel just don't buy the hype that it is only good for bar hopping.

If/when you do the switch, please post a pic.
yep, exactly. my only ride is a shovel and she's always brought me home, with the occasional roadside fix. proper maintenance, rebuilds when necessary, and taking an active interest in the bike's condition will cut down dramatically on reliability issues. they get a worse rap than they deserve.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 PM
dex82
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Pretty much anybody with decent basic skills and common sense can maintain a shovel really , it doesn't take exceptional skills . Granted mine is over the top for 99% of the shovels out there but I don't do stock on my own stuff they have to be a couple steps over . Where most guys fall down is not taking care of the little stuff when it first rears it's head , in short order that will turn into a big problem almost everytime when you least need it too and that's with most bikes not just shovels . And your right unless the guy doing the work was raised around these things you better find a old school mech with some decent gray going on in the hair other wise they won't have a clue .

Thing with shovels they had several well know problimatic area's and there's very well established repairs or upgrades for everything , we've had 30 yrs to get it right and have believe me . Reliability wise mine is not exception honestly , she may look better than most but there's an awful lot of good reliable shovels out there being ridden daily still . I've got a decent little business going taking care of the ones the shops won't touch anymore even the indy's . I tip my hat to the guys with stock FLH bikes that still have all the OEM stuff on them , those are getting rare and you cannot beat the look they draw the eye everytime in a crowd .
agreed. when i got mine about 12 years ago, i had no mechanical experience beyond keeping piece of **** cars going when i was young. i learned by stripping her down to the frame and rebuilding, with a manual (for gawd's sake buy one) and went from there. i'm still not a mechanic, but when she goes back together, she does what she should. i can't rebuild a engine yet, i just strip her down and get a local shop to rebuild her, but everything else i do myself. i take her apart evry three years or so just to clean her up, replace any little **** that should be done and to stay reasonably knowledgeable about what i'm doing. so as long as you're willing to learn, go for it. you'll have one of the coolest bikes on the road

Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
moose68
Stage I
Default clutch problems...

i have an 81 flh that i sometimes have to use both hands to squeeze the clutch handle.ive already busted a cable and replaced it,but ofcourse the problem is still there.also its hard to shift from first to second.bike sat for five years when i bought it.so can someone tell me why and why and are they related?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by moose68
i have an 81 flh that i sometimes have to use both hands to squeeze the clutch handle.ive already busted a cable and replaced it,but ofcourse the problem is still there.also its hard to shift from first to second.bike sat for five years when i bought it.so can someone tell me why and why and are they related?

Sounds like the clutch plates are gummed up , happens with dirty oil and time . Pull the clutch apart clean everything up and degrease the fiber plates , check them to see if they are flat if so scuff them a bit med. grit sandpaper to break the shiny glaze on the fibers . Do the same to the steel plates . Get yourself one of the alum. pressure plates instead of the stamped steel one . Follow the manual for reassembly and adjustment you should be good to go , lube the new cable too .

PS Have you checked the oil level in the trans ?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
custom67
Intermediate

Shovelheads are easy to work on when work needs to be done. Strong & reliable too, have my 1967 for 26 years now & just rebuilt her 2 years ago. Hope you don,t mind getting your hands dirty once in a while...

Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 PM
rogue76
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are used to riding a evo,you should ride a shovel before you buy one.They are not as nimble as an evo.It will cost you way more money to make a shovel go fast than an Evo.Shovel riders are in there own world .I have been rideing and building shovels from when they were flat,do like the new bikes but won't trade any of my shovels for one. Still drive a car with carb and can still work on it too.

Quick Reply: Shovelhead Advice