Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Inner primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 PM
UglyEarly
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner primary cover

I am looking for an inner primary cover for my 93" shovel. I need to know if all shovelhead inner primary covers will fit as long as they are chain. Is the 1200 the same cover as the 1340? Also, I've been told by the experts on here to get a Harley OEM cover, so if anyone has one, let me know please. I'm not interested in one that has been repaired. I already have one that's been repaired. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

it depends on the year the size of the motor is no help -- two different starters in the chain drive FL series primarys was used - the long prestolite and the jap hitachi - the jap starter is stronger and the better one to use, the cover also changed on the primary for the starter sooooo what year is the primary you now have - jz

Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 PM
UglyEarly
6th Gear

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
it depends on the year the size of the motor is no help -- two different starters in the chain drive FL series primarys was used - the long prestolite and the jap hitachi - the jap starter is stronger and the better one to use, the cover also changed on the primary for the starter sooooo what year is the primary you now have - jz
Thanks Jz. I'm not sure what year it is. It looks like the 60620-74 cover and not like some I've seen. It has a shitty starter on it and I usually use the kick start. It's an aftermarket cover and it's been repaired. The oil is cut off to the primary and I just put oil in there to keep it separate from the engine oil. I'm fairly certain that I have the lesser of the two starters unless they are both shitty. Mine is really crap. It barely turns the engine over and I can start it by hand with the kicker.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the 1970 to 1978 primary was replaced by the 79 to 82 the old number is 60441 - 79 < OEM number you can do a EBlows search for a real one but most have been Well used -- the later pri has the better starter as well i wish you good luck in finding a nice one

Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Any 4 speed shovelhead inner will work and both starters will mount the same , difference is in the reduction housing not on the primary . Only ones that will be the odd duck would the belt drive setup and that's rare . You want an early model if you can find one they are thicker & have much beefier castings and mating surfaces , the later models got chessy with a lot of cast in webs and those are the ones you find all the time needing welding around the mainshaft bearing area . I'm gonna suggest you start haunting Craigslist , swap meets and ebay as well as digging around the old school indie shops in your area .

I'm fighting the Hipo 93" starter problem also and the big thing is DON'T USE AFTERMARKET primary covers , the damn things are off just enough it binds the starter shaft and either drags or causes the bendix to chatter on the ring gear or jams it in . With some I've had to pull the alignment pins leave the bolts a bit l;oose and while hitting the button use a rubber hammer to nudge the outer cover around till it works right then lock it down . Real pain with a wet clutch .

Pop for the All ***** starter , make sure your bendix is in good shape with good 4 ga cables and you've got a chance with the button .

Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
UglyEarly
6th Gear
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by UglyEarly
That's the one , looks clean I don't see any of the usual wear or abuse indicators even the starter boss is in good shape . Pricey but a new Cal Products inner is $400 bare . See if he has a decent stock outer maybe make you a deal on the pair . Good luck

Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

what about mid or forward controls? castings are different too

Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Cal Products used to sell a very heavy duty inner primary but they stopped making them and sold the rights to Rivera Engineering who is making them now. Drag Specialties sells them. I have one on my bike. Seems to be good quality. Very heavy duty, thick walls. It did require some modification to fit my bike but everything requires modification to fit my bike. They ran about $350 when I bought mine about 2 years ago. Not cheap.

Last edited by megawatt; 03-31-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by V_twins
what about mid or forward controls? castings are different too
Up till the mid 70's sometime they all had the heavier castings and the mid shift was just drilled and bushed for the shifter shaft only difference , casting was the same the boss was already there . Around 77 or 78 is when they started getting skimpy with the inner primaries and doing the webbing around the bearing boss that always cracked .

Quick Reply: Inner primary cover