Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Drive gear replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 AM
W4MAC
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive gear replacement

New to the forum and to bikes in general, I might be posting in the wrong area. That being said, here is my question.

Bike Im trying to fix for someone else who is no longer capable of communicating. He built it, but is to sick to tell me much. I just want it to run so he can hear it.
The bike is a 81 Superglide Shovelhead with a dry clutch set up. Drive gear seems to be kicking out before start up. I ordered a new one which came in today. I pulled the primary cover thinking this would be simple. Thought I should pull the clutch assembly and it would slide out. Before I started to take it apart I dug up the manual it came with and read where it said to pull the starter first. So I stopped to ask do I really have to? To pull the starter it looks like the battery, battery tray, and oil tank have to come off. Is this right, or can I slide the drive off the shaft after removing that nut with 2 flat side and pull the clutch?
Thanks for any help, Mack

Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 2,880 Posts

you have two issues with doing it

if like you said, pull the clutch hub ( special tool required to remove hub ) than you need to remove the primary chain and engine sprocket - we have done it that way and its quicker but you need air or / electric impact ( sometimes is not strong enough to use that ) for motor sprocket and clutch hub - the starter shaft nut is a reverse thread for the bendix drive remove it than the cir clip and re install and adjust all -

YOU need a service book for the adjusments chain clutch TOB and cable

removing the starter does not require you to remove batt box oil tank ect but its longer to do it that way as exhaust and other things are in the way but you do not need air or special tools -- your choice - jz

Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
W4MAC
Novice

Thanks, I'll follow the directions then. Just thought I should ask before I started.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 AM
W4MAC
Novice

OK, did it by the book, starter is off drive gear is changed. Now to put it together tomorrow sober.

The following users liked this post:
Stanley Kwiecinski (03-14-2020)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 PM
W4MAC
Novice

OK, it went well. I noticed the drive gear I bought seemed to have a bigger clutch area, hope it means better. I have the lever action engagement working right now and mounted the ford starter solenoid to the bottom of the battery box. Made some new 1 gauge cables since I like overkill and ran a 3/4 inch ground strap to the starter motor. Damn thing still kicks back against the starter though. Might learn to set the timing next. BTW, any idea who makes that clutch?

Attached Thumbnails Drive gear replacement-p1010096.jpg   Drive gear replacement-p1010102.jpg   Drive gear replacement-p1010095.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

since you have a belt drive now is the time to re-grease the bearings on the hub to shell -- just a dab -- i use militec grease -- and you wanna check and see if it has a clutch tamer -- black plastic plate that has snap rings -- also you wanna put a blob of grease on the starter gear (S) as they no longer get oil -- check the bearings in #1 inner primary bearing -- #2 starter housing -- #3 outer primary jack shaft bearing -- replace the hub nut seal -- check belt teeth for wear -- why over look these items and have failure??

"clean and re-surface the fiber plates -- i rub them on the sidewalk in a circular motion till clean -- clean and inspect steel plates -- check that fiber disc on the hub -- also grease the starter gear arms thats the 2 prong devise that throws the gear into the shell gear they no longer get oil with a belt