Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill country custom bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM
cjgray
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hill country custom bars

Anyone have experience with hill country custom bars? I was thinking about getting some prewired bars. they have wild1 reapers on ebay for $625 or just bars for $300, but they don't show them on their website.

I also considered getting a plug and play set with the chrome master cylinder and switches if the price is worth it.

Mainly wanted to know if anyone has had problems with the wires in bars that came with wires already pulled. Thanks

Old 02-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 830 Posts

Just finished the reapers on my RK and with Heated grips. These are 12" and Wild! said I wouldn't need any extentions. I did a write up a couple weeks ago. Apparently on RK, you need switch extensions. Got the bars off ebay for $250 shipped, and Namz 8 in extensions from Hillcountry for $32. Did the work myself after watching a few youtube videos. Wasn't hard. read the write up.

The following users liked this post:
cjgray (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine were not pre-wired but I did get the Hill Country kit and did it all myself. If I were to do it over I would pay the extra coin and get the pre-wired bars with all the switches, connectors and chrome housings. It was a pain in the *** wiring up the connectors and such. Took me many hours but it was my first time doing bars. The cable extensions provided worked fine but were difficult to get them through the locking block in the connectors due to them being a tiny bit larger than stock. Once I opened up each of the holes the block locked in and the connectors fit good.

Also do not get their cables and brake lines as they use Motion Pro ones which I have since completely replaced with Magnum Shielding. The Motion Pro cables are marketed under numerous names. The clutch cable leaked oil through the housing at the transmission fitting, including the replacement cable of the same type and part number (different name, Bikers Choice) I installed. The throttle cables never fit good and ran completely out of adjustment on the idle cable when setting it up so I was never able to eliminate all the slack. They also would bind when the bars were turned far left. The brake line was OK but part of the plastic housing swelled up from the engine heat. I changed all of them out to the superior Magnum cables and they work great and look better.

cjgray (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Hession
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought the complete kit from HCC and if I had to do it over again I would just buy the bars and extensions to do it myself. They seem to be a good company and ship quick, but I wasn't new happy with the results and wound up spending twice the money to do it the way I wanted.

cjgray (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 02:46 AM
cjgray
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I was worried the cables would be cheap and need replaced after a short time. I'm also a little worried the brake reservoir might be cheap and the chrome start peeling. i'll probably just buy the bars and get a kit from magnum or burley. Still gonna be a couple months before i can afford it tho.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM
scottbob99
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I bought my 16" apes from them all pre-wired and with the chrome controls. I think it looks great and it's been over a year and no issues. I have very little patience sometimes and having the wiring all plug and play was worth it IMHO. Good luck either way.

cjgray (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought Yaffee Monkey bars prewired 5 years ago, with chrome switches and controls, clutch cable and brake line. I have zereo complaints. I would recommend and would do it again.

cjgray (02-15-2017)