Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Inner Cam Bearing Blown

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Inner Cam Bearing Blown

Well everyone likes pictures so here she is.

103" FLHTCUSE stock, 36,000 miles. Most 2 up. The only thing not stock is the windshield & Rinehart True Duals if you don't count the tour pack relocator.

When I say 2 up don't think we don't ride hard. This sweetie has been on one wheel in the rain goin through a corner tryin to keep up with the pack.

So I'm headed out for a Sunday ride 2 up as usual and I hear this god awful noise that abruptly ended our short day.

A week later I find out my girl blew an inner cam bearing. The cam is shot too. So I'm looking at this as an opportunity.

The cam tensioners are at the service limit so they are getting upgraded to the hydraulic variety. I'm not convinced that the expense of the gear drive is worth it and the mechanic hasn't seen any of the new hydraulic ones wear prematurely.

The '07 Screamin Eagle hydraulic tensioner package comes with an oil pump. Good thing since I'm missing 2 bearings. I'm thinkin the oil pump froze up from one of the bearings causing that god awful "it's gonna blow" noise that scared me off the bike.

Long story short I'm here for advice and opinions.
I'm leaning towards the above cam tensioner package as well as a few parts I'll list below. I haven't been in this position before so I'd really appreciate anything that can be said.

Andrews TW54 cam
Torrington inner cam bearings
I hear LT1 lifters will do just fine if not better than stock.
Comp cams 875

I plan on sending her to the dyno when all done. I don't want to skimp there.

I'm lookin for bang for the buck. I don't believe in off the shelf performance. That said. I do want to take advantage of getting more horses out of the old girl. We aren't little people.

Cheers!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Did metal go everywhere?
If so, the motor has to be torn down completely and cleaned out. Also the oil pan and oil lines need to be cleaned as well.

AS for lifters, https://squareup.com/store/larrysmcymachineinc The S and SE are awesome and you wont have issues. Add a set of http://www.rockout.biz/ as well.

As for cam choice, there are many that will work. the 54's will work, so will about 10 other cams.

I just finished building a 107 out of a se103, there is tons of potential and option if you have to dig into it.

Last edited by TXCHOP; 04-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I would suspect the when the bearing grenades it took out the oil pump as well. As previously stated make sure whoever is doing the work on it is judicious in inspecting for metal that may have went elsewhere.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Regarding the lifters...I have read on forums that people use those, and have had success, however, with all the lifters made for this specific purpose by Feuling, S&S, HD, whomever...why would one use a car part in a motorcycle? That's just my personal opinion, and I'm not including price as a factor here.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Andrews 54's are not the best choice for a stock compression bike- I have them in my 10-1 Road King and they are still a bit soft. Think Andrews 57, or better yet 26's.
Those comp cams lifters don't flow enough oil to the top end (look for the S&S video).
Andrews 26's and S&S standard lifters and you will be a happy guy.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 151 Posts

My Ultra is a 06 also, but not the SE model. I installed the SE hyd cam system 3 or 4 years ago now. Glad I did, my bike was at about 40,000, now at 69,000. The SE kit comes with the upgraded oil pump. I replaced the stock inner bearings with the Torrington ones, found em on FleaBay.

Sorry you didn't catch it in time. Like prev guys said you gotta make sure all the debris is cleaned out. If you do a search here I did a pretty long review/post of my cam tensioner install.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I was really lookin forward to the upgrades. After I did the math though it just made better sense to go with the '17 Ultra Limited and the extended warranty. I just couldn't go that deep for an '06.

@larsfum
That is exactly what happened. The inner cam bearing grenaded and there were 2 bearings missing along with the bearing innerds. 38k miles and I was being told to get a new crate, since it would be cheaper in the long run. I'm sure that is the truth. Minimum was replacing the case since the cam had wallowed out bearing seat. All said and done one cam was completely shot. One lifter had a flat spot. The chain tensioners were at the service limit. One lifter's needle bearings were shot. The inner cam bearing grenaded and that took out the oil pump.

One ride on the '17 M8 and I haven't looked back. I still feel like someone killed my dog but I get on the new M8 Ultra Limited and I'm grinnin like a fool again.

Don't get me wrong. The craftsmanship on the '06 CVO is probably unmatched, she was pretty and probably belongs in a museum. Too bad they put crap parts in those. Bottom line the '06 belongs in a museum. They parts aren't good enough to be reliably ridden on.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Good on ya for taking a look at your situation and making a good decision. I disagree with your opinion on 'crap parts'...just like any other machine, some are good, some fail early. I had a 2006 FLHX that put over 100,000 miles, nary a problem, ran synthetic oil in it...you had a different experience.

Ya know, if you look at it, you had 35,999 miles on a "sweetie"...one more mile, and the parts were "crap"! I do believe that you had a great time on this scooter...hopefully, the next one will be just as great!

Old 04-25-2017, 04:27 PM
oldbuck
Road Captain
Received 346 Likes on 202 Posts

Good luck with your new ride. I just had the same situation. For about thirty five hundred not including my labor, I had Hillside cycle repair my inner case where the cam took out the bearing bore hole after the bearing failed, along with a dark horse crank, Andrews 21n cams, s&s lifters and adjustable push rods, new style hydraulic tension"rs, cam plate and oil pump, oversized pistons and valve job, at 72k she runs like new!