Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Decel popping

I have been watching and reading about this decel popping thing for over a year now. I have never really hit it hard since most of my work has been done. I have given it a gut check a few times into 3rd and then I let it drop off. I can NOT get my bike to decel pop. I was crushing it yesterday in 1st gear then just totally back off the gas and it will not pop, I tried to make it pop and couldn't.

So, what is or what causes decel pop? I'm not complaining but why wont it pop? I don't want it to pop and I'm glad it doesn't but what is the difference between my bike and the bike next to me that pops? I have a theory or two but that's all it is.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decel popping can be several things. Improper tune or exhaust leak between engine and exhaust are just 2 examples.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
Decel popping can be several things. Improper tune or exhaust leak between engine and exhaust are just 2 examples.
What he said !! I think unburnt fuel which somehow makes it to the exhaust causes that pop. I've had it a time or two on my rocker before I replaced my exhaust gaskets. Always scares the crap out of me lolol.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

What they said. It's mostly caused by raw fuel in the exhaust coupled with a timing issue. I did read a thread where someone said installing new plugs helped reduce the problem. Didnt make sense to me. But, my bike started doing it and got progressively worse. I remembered that thread and thought what the heck. Plugs are cheap. I replaced the plugs and low and behold it cut about 3/4 of the problem out. It still doesn't make sense though as worn plugs shouldn't create latent fire.

Now, if someone would give me a good answer on the thread I posted yesterday..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 04-05-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:24 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea, I guess we are always learning, at least I would hope so. I am way over the top when it comes to maintenance on my bike. I put new plugs in at the start of every riding season and I have yet to go over 2K a season. This year they going to pile up though, going out west this august.

My theory is what I have preached for years, head work with cams to match, auto tuner and putting it on the Dyno. No raw gas is getting past my heads.

I could be wrong but that's what I'm thinking.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas

Now, if someone would give me a good answer on the thread I posted yesterday..
Sorry, I don't have an answer for that.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

You do not see (hear) it much after the closed loop EFI systems. If all is working well, it just should not happen. My old 2002 Night Train could rumble and pop with the best of them. The old carbed bikes made some great sounds that EFI has tuned out for the most part.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

My bike rumbles some at low rpms only. Anything 2600 rpm or higher and you let off, you get the jake brake sound(pretty cool). Dealer has messed with the SE pro tuner several times and its much better. I dont think it will be right until it gets tuned by a dyno tune person that's good. I am going to get some cams and I will wait until that's done. Problem is finding a good tuner here in mid-SC.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I have been watching and reading about this decel popping thing for over a year now. I have never really hit it hard since most of my work has been done. I have given it a gut check a few times into 3rd and then I let it drop off. I can NOT get my bike to decel pop. I was crushing it yesterday in 1st gear then just totally back off the gas and it will not pop, I tried to make it pop and couldn't.
Two possibilities:
It's usually more of a problem on short pipes, and you have super-long ones.
When your bike was tuned, it may have been set up excessively rich or lean on decel to eliminate any tendency to pop. If the fuel/air mixture is set up too lean or rich to ignite easily, it won't pop.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:21 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I once trusted a dealer to do the right thing when they installed my pipes and a/c for free, and let them install their downloaded "canned map" to complete the Stage 1.
It was awful - the heat was off the charts and the decel pop was unbearable, it NEVER stopped.
It was so loud and nasty it made me want to get off at times.
Then the V&H FuelPak3 came out.
I bought one and it hasn't popped since, and I can no longer intentionally do it either.
So for me, the tune made all the difference.

Quick Reply: Decel popping