Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Softail Owner, seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:15 PM
fbodyracer19
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Softail Owner, seeking advice

Good day all, my name is Cory. I am currently the owner of a 1985 Honda Magna 700. I am preparing to buy a 2016 Harley Softail. I am bouncing back and forth between the Breakout and the Slim, but I am actually leaning more towards a Slim. Dont get me wrong, the breakout is a wicked *** bike, but I like the classic look of the Slim.

With that said, I am still doing research, and my decision will be based on whether I can do what I want to make the bike mine. Things I know:

The motor, tranny, frame are the same. The rake and stance of the Breakout is a little more Chopper style, but the Slim sits a little lower and slightly lighter than the Breakout.

I will be going to at least a 113 Stroker on the motor, upgrading to the Cobra Speedster Short Swept Exhaust, Blacking out the bike, adding some forward controls, and a few other goodies.

I am also looking at upgrading the rims. The Slim runs 16x3 Rims stock front and back. The breakout runs a 21x3 front, and an 18x8 back stock. From what I have read, the Slim can run a max rim of 21x3.5 front and 18x4.25 rear without modification to the bike, but the Breakout can only go up to 21x3.5 and 18x8.5 without modification. I have found some rim designs that I really like, that fit within these specs, but my question is...how do I know if they will or will not work on the Softail Slim? Like I said, I am leaning toward the slim, and would like to simply max the rim size to get the classic look with a slightly modern stance.

So, what are y'all's thoughts? Any suggestions or recommendations from the Softail community? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe I have not read your question correctly, but the only thing I got out of it was your concern with tire/wheel size. I don't know what type of wheels you are looking for. When you know what type you want, just put your bike specs in and it will tell you if they have what you are looking for.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:43 PM
fbodyracer19
Stage III

That is my main concern at the moment, along with if there are any suggestions or recommendations for other things to consider. The rims I have been most interested in, are something along the lines of these: http://www.ftdcustoms.com/The-Predat...heels-Blackout

Dont have to be the same brand or anything, I just love the style. Problem is, everything I check, says they will not fit a 2015 Softail Slim...my question is, why not? What is different?

Old 08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fbodyracer19
That is my main concern at the moment, along with if there are any suggestions or recommendations for other things to consider. The rims I have been most interested in, are something along the lines of these: http://www.ftdcustoms.com/The-Predat...heels-Blackout

Dont have to be the same brand or anything, I just love the style. Problem is, everything I check, says they will not fit a 2015 Softail Slim...my question is, why not? What is different?
I can't pull up your link...I am on a work computer. Contact one of the wheel sponsors on the forum. They will help you find what you are looking for. Click on the Vendor Directory in the header.

Last edited by jtarter; 08-16-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Slim Chris
Intermediate

I have a 2015 slim and I love it. I also live the breakout but prefer the cvo . Both great bikes in my opinion . One suggestion from a person that has been customizing things for years. pick the bike you love things like rims can change. Either bike you choose I hope you enjoy it.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:35 PM
fbodyracer19
Stage III

Thank you Slim Chris! That is why I am trying to do the research now. I love both the Breakout and the Slim better than any other bikes, but like I said, I think I like the Slim a little bit better than the Breakout. I just want to make sure that I can do what I want.

The Stroker kit, and the exhaust will be installed from the dealership when I buy the bike. I am thinking the forward controls will as well. I am 6ft 3, and about 190 lbs, so I need something I can stretch out on just a little bit, but I am not a fan of touring bikes.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts
Default Future Softail Owner, seeking advice

If you are 6' 3", the Breakout will be more comfortable.

My God, you are talking about stroker kit etc. before even having taken a test ride on either one.

I always say, test ride many bikes then buy the one that fits you the best. Then ride it for a year before doing anything to it.

In stock form, the engine is more than double the size of your Honda's.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

The Slim is going to have a 110cu engine for 2016, wait 2 more weeks to see it.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with ride it for a year before you do anything more to it..
Yet I couldn't follow that advise..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

these two bikes have the least amount of accessories for them. also the breakout can be a little bit of a pain with exhausts.