Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 flsts with 211 upgrade metal knocking issue at low load

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:45 PM
phopnick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 flsts with 211 upgrade metal knocking issue at low load

Just picked up a 2000 flsts with a fresh rebuild with new pistons, cylinders, heads, cam bearings, 211 cam. Engine had 300 miles on it when I bought it. After riding it for a while I noticed a metal on metal knock or tap that can be felt under low load in any gear. the best example is 4th gear at 43-45mph on a flat striaght stretch and maintaining the same speed. Its sounds like metal on metal or jiggle then goes away as soon as the bike would start to go up hill with changing throttle position or rpm. I can also feel it in the hands and feet. Now if I do increase speed in 4th gear the 52-55 it goes more with the engine rpm and can hardly tell its there. Its not engine lug issue because I purposely have made it lug and its not the same feeling sound.

Things I have done:

Taken to the shop 2 times and have had pushrods adjusted and primary chain adjusted. Mechanic road it on and off for a week and said he thinks I am just no familiar with this motor. He said he would trust it and drive anywhere and its mechanically top shape. The mechanic has worked on all my bikes and is very trustworthy. I just can't get past that this noise feeling as being normal. Honestly I wouldn't even care but my cruising speed is 45-50 in 4th and it just becomes so loud and and feel it all the time the ride becomes unenjoyable. I also put on a different set of mufflers. He mentioned it may have rolling rockers and that could be it. The sound it like a hard finder tap/jiggle and stays if I keep the speed and load the same. As soon as I increase speed or the bike starts to clime a hill it slowly goes away

Can anyone chime in on this. I told him if I can't get it figured out and its normal the bike will get a for sale sign because for me it ruins everything about the bike.

Also I am not new to Harley's or riding. I have owned. another softail, a street glide, a sportster, an ironhead, and a dyna. None of them have ever made this sound/feeling when riding.

Thanks for your time and looking forward to all opinions and thoughts.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:37 PM
micalaut
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you ever figured out this noise, I have a similar issue on a 2011 Limited with a 103 and some mods.