Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slim-Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Ecopot
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Slim-Heritage

I really like the looks of the Slim, but due to the limited luggage options, changing license plate laws, and my always wanting to tinker with stuff (for better or worse)...lol..I decided to give my slim a new look.

Still getting things mocked up.
Any advice on paint? I don't think the matte charcoal tank matches the black fenders too well.

Black tank?
Charcoal Fenders?
Or maybe black stripe or tear drop on the side of the tank?
Slim-Heritage-photo17.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Slim-Heritage-photo731.jpg  

Last edited by Ecopot; 11-11-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:31 AM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My opinion of course, but I think it would look cool with the Heritage rear fender painted to match but leave the Slim front fender on it. New style Heritage bags without all the studs. And put black knuckle bars on it.

I would change the lights on the Heritage fender too. Narrow turn signal light bar, red turn signal lenses and red fender tip lens.

Last edited by racerkvn; 11-11-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

How about some black trim on the tank to "match" fenders to tank?

I don't see pin stripes on your fenders..?

I like Racerkvn idea about using the smaller turn signal bar from a Deluxe. (it will bolt right on).

This tank graphic might help tie the tank and fenders together, I was thinking of doing similar to my red tank.

Here is a link to some great customs in the UK

http://www.warrs.com/pages/kings-roa...ad-customs.htm

Old 11-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you have an awesome start there. I think an accent stripe or graphic on the tank to match the fenders paint would set it apart. For sure trim that signal bar down so it doesn't detract from beautiful rear fender and move the plate to a lower location. Maybe some matching paint off the tank as access stripes on the fenders would be a cool offset. Man it's fun spending others money.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

A nice nostalgic look! I'm partial to the fat fenders of a Heritage/Deluxe/RoadKing though.

Agreed with the others on the rear turn signal bar. That thing is hideous! (my opinion for what it's worth)

Jetfever suggested using a Deluxe rear turn signal bar. They are quite a bit more "elegant" but they won't bolt on without fender modification. The Deluxe has indents in the fender where it bolts on.

I think gloss black accents on the charcoal tank would look pretty cool!

Old 11-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
A nice nostalgic look! I'm partial to the fat fenders of a Heritage/Deluxe/RoadKing though.

Agreed with the others on the rear turn signal bar. That thing is hideous! (my opinion for what it's worth)

Jetfever suggested using a Deluxe rear turn signal bar. They are quite a bit more "elegant" but they won't bolt on without fender modification. The Deluxe has indents in the fender where it bolts on.

I think gloss black accents on the charcoal tank would look pretty cool!
Mike, the Heritage rear fender has the exact same indents for the rear turn signal bar, I have seen the Deluxe bar swapped. (at least some years I have looked at are the same). The tail light cutout is different, however.

For the record, I like the Heritage signal bar, but you need the Heritage front light bar, saddlebags, and huge front signals to "balance" it. The Deluxe rear bullet signals match the front signals on the Slim, IMHO.

Last edited by Jetfever; 11-11-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Deluxe/ Heritage rear fender

Heritage and Deluxe rear fender for comparison. One can see the indent for the turn signal bar. This is from a quick search of the 'net.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Ecopot
Advanced

Thanks for all the suggestion! Still deciding..got a lot more ideas now

This is a fender set is from a 2002 heritage so it should be the same as the 100th anniversary fender pictured above.

Just a few pics of the build

My super neat wire job...lol. Used the stock wire harness from the 2002 model and connectors from my slim.
Slim-Heritage-photo653.jpg

2002 models had the seat bolts on the side, so I drilled and filed a notch to fit a single seat bolt to the rear of the fender
Slim-Heritage-photo558.jpg

As usual the tire is off set to one side so I had to add spacers to keep the fender from rubbing on the opposite side.
Slim-Heritage-photo698.jpg

The fenders do have the thin double red pin stripes. Just hard to see in the sun. Also the paint is pretty scratched up.
Slim-Heritage-photo932.jpg

Old 11-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

As far as the "wire job" I used the standard Deutsch connectors with a used wire loom from a Sportster, tail light plug was included. I assume you know the hole plugged (bottom right of the 4 in your grey plug) is usable for power.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-...EVMxoC8OLw_wcB

I have no idea why the fender needed so many spacers on one side to center over the tire, I dd not have this problem.

We could not see the red pinstripes in earlier photos, but if the fenders are scratched, I would start with filling the holes in the rear and plan on painting the fenders. Let us know what you decide. I like our blacked out bikes. The red pin stripes would look great with my tank :-)

I love your exhaust, I would like to go back to my similar stock headers with Slip on mufflers. I am running saddlebags for a trip I took so I changed. Here is a shot with similar exhaust to yours.

Last edited by Jetfever; 11-12-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:10 AM
Ecopot
Advanced

I originally wanted pipes like yours, but I found a great deal on the ones that I have now. Plus they are slip ons made for the Slim, so they are direct bolt ons.

Thanks for the link. I wish I knew jpcycles sold those connected before I cut up my stock harness.

The slim struts were a little short and the fender was a little wobble in the rear. Cut up the original outer struts and made some extension. Yes, they will be painted.
Slim-Heritage-photo265.jpg

Quick Reply: Slim-Heritage