Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 PM
cencal
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Oil

I picked this bike from my dad. 2003 FXST, 6600 miles on it. Has not been ridden, or started that I know of, for about 4 years. Been sitting in my dad's garage on concrete floor.

Anyway, he wanted it gone so I am the new owner. Going to drain all fluids, gas, etc.

I pulled the dipstick to check it before draining and there was nothing on the stick. Weird but OK maybe it was low when it went into hibernation.

Pulled the drain and nothing......maybe 3 tablespoons all together.

Called dad to ask why there is no oil in the bike. Did he drain it and forget to fill it? He says he never drained it and would have not filled it back up if he did. Too dangerous in case someone came along and started it for some stupid reason, or there was a fire and had to get it away from house, etc.

So either dad is senile or what? Didn't leak out. Not a drop on the ground over those years of sitting.

I am puzzle and uneasy.

Here is what I did:

Took and 15in piece of welding cable and fished up the drain port thinking there was some sort of obstruction. Nothing that I could find.

Took of oil filter to change it too and got a TINY amount of oil out of the port there dribbling onto the motor. Few drops.

Left drain plug out and started pouring into the oil can. After about 1/2 qt. it started draining through and out the drain. Put plug back in.

My dad is not senile and a pretty smart guy. I cannot see him forgetting that he drained out the oil. Also, cannot see him not refilling it if he did.

Weird story

Last edited by cencal; 12-17-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The oil has "sumped" into the crankcase. There is a pipe plug in the bottom of the engine that can be removed very carefully to drain the case. Re-installing this plug should be done very carefully so as not to crack the case.
Have you tried to turn the engine over at all?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:00 PM
cencal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QC
The oil has "sumped" into the crankcase. There is a pipe plug in the bottom of the engine that can be removed very carefully to drain the case. Re-installing this plug should be done very carefully so as not to crack the case.
Have you tried to turn the engine over at all?
I cranked it a few times with the gas petcock shut off so it wouldn't start. Maybe 3-4 cranks of about 5 seconds each. Mainly I was just checking the operation of the new battery.

I will look for the drain plug.

SO i was thinking that maybe dad WAS senile so I added about 3 qts of oil into it to the bottom of the stick. Was going to wait till I fired it up and filled the new filter and then add from there.

What is the best way to procede from here? It seems that I now have too much oil in there.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:22 PM
cencal
Intermediate

I think that I would rather not remove that plug under the motor if possible. From reading it sounds like a potential disaster that I would not like to chance. A cracked case would bot be good.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,148 Likes on 6,212 Posts

Is there oil in the other two holes?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Your missing oil is in the crankcase ( the bottom of the engine) go ahead and start your engine ( no more than 1 min) don't rev the throttle have a large pan to hold a gal under the engine vent tube , the missing oil will blow out the tube and some will return to the oil tank that is going to be over filled with what you filled with new oil and the oil in the tank will have lots of air in it so let it settle for a couple of hours and do it again till air stops in the tank

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 PM
cencal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prot
Is there oil in the other two holes?
I havent checked the primary yet but trans is full on the dipstick. Gonna change both of those tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:54 PM
cencal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 81rat
Your missing oil is in the crankcase ( the bottom of the engine) go ahead and start your engine ( no more than 1 min) don't rev the throttle have a large pan to hold a gal under the engine vent tube , the missing oil will blow out the tube and some will return to the oil tank that is going to be over filled with what you filled with new oil and the oil in the tank will have lots of air in it so let it settle for a couple of hours and do it again till air stops in the tank
Just making sure you read where I thought my dad was senile and drained out the oil so I added about 3qts in the can. So that would leave me with 3qt PLUS whatever is living in the case for the last few years. If I start it up and let it run for a minute of so, would that cause any damage, or spewing out of the filler plug making a MESS, to anything.

Really sucks cause I think I just wasted 3 qts of Mobil 1 V Twin oil at $12 qt

Old 12-18-2016, 12:00 AM
cencal
Intermediate

Also, can you guide me to the oil vent tube where I should catch the oil that gets blown out. Like to be prepared in advance.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by cencal
Just making sure you read where I thought my dad was senile and drained out the oil so I added about 3qts in the can. So that would leave me with 3qt PLUS whatever is living in the case for the last few years. If I start it up and let it run for a minute of so, would that cause any damage, or spewing out of the filler plug making a MESS, to anything.

Really sucks cause I think I just wasted 3 qts of Mobil 1 V Twin oil at $12 qt
Why don't you drain the new oil from the tank, replace the plug, start the bike and warm it up, then drain the old oil and reuse your new oil....or if your worried that it maybe didn't have any oil before you filled it, you could just drain some, so at least you wont be starting it with 6qts., if it did already had 3....

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-18-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Missing Oil