Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 05:53 PM
cneal761
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue

I need some assistance!! I have an '07 Softail Deluxe and last November we took a spill. In the process of repair, the guy doing the work obtained and painted the wrong front fender for my deluxe...I now have a fender tip light. A couple weeks ago I picked up the wiring to hook it up and did so by running the wiring to the two-wire plug under the fuel tank. Easy enough...right?? Well, now my headlight and my spots don't work but the tip light does. I have I have checked with a multimeter and have no power (12v) on the yellow (low beam) or the white (high beam) wires of the 4-wire plug coming from the battery. Of course, the orange/white has 12v on it. I have checked continuity on all fuses thinking that may be the issue, but all checked good. I looked up in the forum and checked the relays...feeling them "click", so I assume they are good. It appears I have developed a dead short somewhere, but where?? What would be the next place to check, because I'm lost!! What could have happened?? Please help!! Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:45 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Check that all of the connectors are connected. Maybe something came loose with the work. The lighting circuit would not be on a relay - fuse only.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your scooter?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 PM
cneal761
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked all the connectors in the area I have been working, but they are few.

Yes, I have the wiring diagram, thats what showed me where the plug in was for the tip light.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:21 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

did you check the main connector under the tank. it may have come loose or a loose wire in the connector. I don't have the schematic in frt of me but the hi/low switch should control a relay to control the power to the the lamp. the switch on the handle bar is too small to handle the amp load a headlamp requires.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Two wire plug under the tank? Without a schematic in front of me I'm wonder just what that two wire plug is. It has a negative return?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cneal761
I need some assistance!! I have an '07 Softail Deluxe and last November we took a spill. In the process of repair, the guy doing the work obtained and painted the wrong front fender for my deluxe...I now have a fender tip light. A couple weeks ago I picked up the wiring to hook it up and did so by running the wiring to the two-wire plug under the fuel tank. Easy enough...right?? Well, now my headlight and my spots don't work but the tip light does. I have I have checked with a multimeter and have no power (12v) on the yellow (low beam) or the white (high beam) wires of the 4-wire plug coming from the battery. Of course, the orange/white has 12v on it. I have checked continuity on all fuses thinking that may be the issue, but all checked good. I looked up in the forum and checked the relays...feeling them "click", so I assume they are good. It appears I have developed a dead short somewhere, but where?? What would be the next place to check, because I'm lost!! What could have happened?? Please help!! Thanks!!
A dead short would take out the fuse...so I don't think that's the problem.

I suspect you have a problem with the ground. Try running a ground from the front forks to the chassis, it may have been removed during the repair and not replaced.

It's easy to check with a VOM. Look for continuity between the front forks ( or headlight shell) and the chassis, or measure voltage from the Hi/Low beam to the forks and again from Hi/Low beam to chassis ground. That will Identify a ground problem.

HD generally runs a ground strap from chassis to the front forks.

Last edited by nhrider1; 05-15-2017 at 10:54 AM.