Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool my breakout down

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy55TX
EITMS doesnt do much for the cooling the engine as the front cylinder is still firing normally..
Yes, actually it does. It doesn't just stop the read injector, it pumps air into the cylinder.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

An oil cooler will only work when the bike is moving.
Unless you get one with a fan. I got a Jagg that has a temp. switch, and I added a "parade" switch on the bars to allow manual control of the fan. I also spaced the cooler further away from the frame for better airflow to the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Cool my breakout down-img_0858.jpg   Cool my breakout down-img_0859.jpg   Cool my breakout down-img_0861.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 09:57 AM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

https://www.harleyoilcoolers.com

​​​​​​rock solid cooler.
Fans are also a plus for the jugs/heads

Old 06-25-2017, 02:12 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Yes, actually it does. It doesn't just stop the read injector, it pumps air into the cylinder.
The front cylinder is still firing normally. Temp in the front cylinder is still rising.

EITMS is on the rear cylinder because the riders leg is over the rear header pipe.

All the complaints and legal issues from the excess heat is my guess as to why HD came up with this.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Unless you get one with a fan. I got a Jagg that has a temp. switch, and I added a "parade" switch on the bars to allow manual control of the fan. I also spaced the cooler further away from the frame for better airflow to the engine.

You could probably fab up some screenwork to cover all that. Would look better.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:13 PM
16Breakout
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone ......I am New to Harley Davidson and riding a motorcycle. I have a 16 Breakout and I live in Los Angeles so we know " HEAT " and the worst of all is " TRAFFIC " , 405 fwy will kill your engine. As I see it all Harley Davidsons are heat machines and can benefit from any OIL, COOLING FAN or any thing else to combat the gobbs of heat these bikes make. I have experienced this on a number occasions since I got the bike and have been looking at all of these mentioned way to protect my engine live and my riding comfort. The best thing to do is check them all out and see which ones fit your bike and your wallet. And of course its gotta ****in look good on your bike.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:10 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

The front cylinder is still firing normally. Temp in the front cylinder is still rising.

EITMS is on the rear cylinder because the riders leg is over the rear header pipe.

All the complaints and legal issues from the excess heat is my guess as to why HD came up with this.

No, temperature isn't still rising. The temp can only reach a certain point, even with both cylinders firing. Yes, the front cylinder is still firing in EITMS. However, you no longer have the added heat of the second cylinder. You have cooler air being pumped in instead which brings the overall temperature down. It won't bring the outside temp of the first cylinder down by much but it is still a decrease.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:22 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gamble71
I agree with Doc.... up to the fans. That always looked like a bad Band-Aid fix to me

I agree just a band-aid. I would add one more step to Doc's.

After the Stage 1
CUSTOM tune (not a download)

A good tune will make all the difference in the world and will run as cool as you need. I live here in PHX AZ and my bike is a 20 mile each way daily driver on surface streets and even when it is above 110 it runs cool enough that it does not lose power nor does it ping.

I had a serious ping problem, strongly considered the oil (with fan) and jug cooling fans, it was just a band-aid to the real problem, to lean. It felt like I had to help push it to get started at the light. After the correct tune, the ping went away, it doesn't burn my thigh any more and have plenty of power.

Good luck in your diagnosis

Last edited by eichacsj; 06-29-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 PM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

get a free flowing exhaust without cats if you do not already have one and a good tune. A real tune on a dyno, not a canned or piggyback tune. That will eliminate a lot of the heat. I did with my 2014 CVO Breakout.

Supplemental cooling, You can't go wrong with a good oil cooler. Oilbud is one of the best, jagg (also the rebranded Harley cooler FYI) have been know to leak. Fans, on the heads help, but one thing to think of is how much faith you are willing to place in an HD charging system.

Tune and oil cooler will go a long long way to making you and your bike happier.

Last edited by CHHBadkarma; 06-29-2017 at 05:07 PM.