Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons and mapping

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 AM
jish1969
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip-ons and mapping

Hi all,
​​​​​​. I recently traded in my 1200c for a 2006 FLSTI and it had the stage 1 air cleaner upgrade and ECM download from the previous owner, but still has the stock pipes. In looking at picking up some Python Slip-ons and doing them myself, but wondering g if I would need to get it mapped again. Any help greatly appreciated.
. Jish

Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes, it will need remapping. Any time you change the intake/outtake it will need remapping for best performance.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 AM
PurpleShark
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a DynoJey PCV and new maps are just downloaded from the website to suit your configuration. Or, just drop them an email & they'll send a map to suit.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 AM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

Do some research on Vance and Hines Fuel pack-3, There are different models of it per your bike and year, mine works great for what I need, 16 Deluxe, slip on's, K&N air filter.
Really easy to use.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I may be the only one who says you probably don't HAVE to remap. Reason I say that is if you started with a stock bike (stock air cleaner and stock exhaust) and you only switched out the mufflers (slip ons) you do not have to re-tune. Once you change the air cleaner for one that breathes more than you are directly affecting the air-fuel mixture so a tune is necessary. In your case, since you already have an upgraded air cleaner and a tune for it and you are only changing the mufflers and not the whole exhaust then to me, it is almost the same as if you were starting with a stock bike and only replacing the mufflers which as I said, does not require a tune.

I think most people play it safe and retune with either of the changes. When I did my research directly and extensively through Harley and filtered out all the user opinions out there, I found that most exhaust changes don't mandate a retune and that it is only recommended in order to optimize whatever performance gains an exhaust may offer. Since I was never about performance (going fast, lots of power, etc) and only really care that my bike looks good and operates properly I never bothered with tunes for exhaust. I have done several exhaust swaps to the ENTIRE system, while keeping my stock air cleaner and after tens of thousands of mile I NEVER had any issues. That includes issues with overheating, decel pop, or any other ailments folks believe happen when you change pipes and don't tune. Once I decided to upgrade my air cleaner, I definitely included a fuel management system.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I may be the only one who says you probably don't HAVE to remap. Reason I say that is if you started with a stock bike (stock air cleaner and stock exhaust) and you only switched out the mufflers (slip ons) you do not have to re-tune. Once you change the air cleaner for one that breathes more than you are directly affecting the air-fuel mixture so a tune is necessary. In your case, since you already have an upgraded air cleaner and a tune for it and you are only changing the mufflers and not the whole exhaust then to me, it is almost the same as if you were starting with a stock bike and only replacing the mufflers which as I said, does not require a tune.

I think most people play it safe and retune with either of the changes. When I did my research directly and extensively through Harley and filtered out all the user opinions out there, I found that most exhaust changes don't mandate a retune and that it is only recommended in order to optimize whatever performance gains an exhaust may offer. Since I was never about performance (going fast, lots of power, etc) and only really care that my bike looks good and operates properly I never bothered with tunes for exhaust. I have done several exhaust swaps to the ENTIRE system, while keeping my stock air cleaner and after tens of thousands of mile I NEVER had any issues. That includes issues with overheating, decel pop, or any other ailments folks believe happen when you change pipes and don't tune. Once I decided to upgrade my air cleaner, I definitely included a fuel management system.

I'll agree with you. I missed the "slip ons."
The exhaust volume passing through isn't changed with just slip ons so retune not required.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 06-19-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

WHATEVER YOU DO , DONT HAVE HD DOWNLOAD THE STAGE 1 REMAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bike has it and I hate it. runs like ***. trying to pony up the funds to buy a fuel pack 3.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM
jish1969
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna buy the Pythons and put them on and keep an eye on it. I'm pretty sure HD did do the stage 1 remap, but the bike runs strong and no issues yet, but it's only been a week in my hands...

Last edited by jish1969; 06-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDoc103
WHATEVER YOU DO , DONT HAVE HD DOWNLOAD THE STAGE 1 REMAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bike has it and I hate it. runs like ***. trying to pony up the funds to buy a fuel pack 3.
Do you have just a flash or a tuner on the bike ?

Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I put those slip on's on my slim an got some popping on decel...I put the FL-VIED-10 on an it cut most of it out...it runs well...it's a band aid until I get a tuner...I'm debating on the FP-3 or one that allows changes to timing in case I do a cam swap some day.

Quick Reply: Slip-ons and mapping