Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread

[Disclaimers/Notices/Legal Advice:

"I hereby claim this thread to be my thread even though it is not mine to do as I wish with."

"This may be my only legacy after I am gone. So if you feel like crapping please do so in your own thread."

"I can get long winded in my threads but as Helen Keller said "You don't have to read it. You get to read." Plus I selfishly do it for my own entertainment."

"If you read it and discover any dry humor then we may be related.

This thread would be totally useless without pictures for those that can't read."

"This disclaimer was intentionally packed with dry humor. Yes, I am in search of a rich relative."

"Photobucket! Get a rope!"

Marvin Gaye? Well, were waiting.....

Tomorrow I will read this and say WTH?]

Hi Softail’s another convert/cross over (not dresser) from the Dyna religion showing up in your neck of the wood. Warning there's going to be more coming. "If you build it they will come." Not sure if I would actually be speaking with you all right now if the MoCo didn't axe the..... Doesn’t matter we are all riding a Harley, right? We give a sign we acknowledge each other when we pass and just about every one of us has got punked by that moped with the real headlight coming at us.......Bastards!

I found a little humor in this link about the hand gesture:
https://motorbikewriter.com/tips-mot...e-wave-riders/

This is my thread to document the additions or changes I make to my new 2018 FLFBS I got last week. I took a 20 year break from riding when my beer got spilled because I knocked my 85 Honda shadow over on it in the tavern parking lot. Decided it would be better not to have the bike if I was going to continue my sinful ways. So after 20 years pure unadulterated sin on the same bar stood. I had it removed and a cheap Virgo had me riding again. I sold the Virago and traded a 65 Mustang for my first Harley a 2006 Low Rider, traded that in on a 2014 Switchback, and that was traded in on this bike a 2018 Fat Boy 114.
In memory of those fine steeds…..
1985 Honda Shadow: We all started somewhere.

The Bar Stool – Steed:
Another Disclaimer: That's not my crack nor is that actual bar stool (mine was on the end) but you get the point .

]

The Virago:
Actually I'm an Aquarius, I like long walk on the beach, knowing when the Sunsets and most of Nikki Dial's feature films. If I said Tracy Lord would you have labeled me a Pet A File? You touch one **** actress just shy of her 18th birthday and your not labeled a priest for the rest of your life. Is that fair?.

The Horse: 1965 Mustang
And my best friend for 14 years Lil John (He’s the little lab in front his moms behind him.) Had to put him down a couple months ago and miss him a lot. Best damn dog ever! I’m actually, choking up a little right now. Yeah I have emotions and I also wear pink to the rodeo on the night they don’t wear pink. I got the day wrong but still.... Tough enough to wear pink. If you don’t know what I talking about never mind…

The Low Rider that got me in the door.

The FLD

Great bike! I was able to change it looks in a just a matter of minutes.

I was sold on the new fat boy before I even walked into the dealership. Not even a test ride. I didn't let it show though. Until I said I am here to buy a fat boy. Where are they? We don't have any? WTF? NOOOOO! I was a day late. The only 2018 Fat Boy 114 was sold the day before to a gent in Missoula MT. Luck would have it that it was still there and I could look it over. I did not touch or sit on it. I remained a gentleman and honored his ride. I thank him as it saved me from buying a white 107 fat boy that was just unwrapped. The dealer placed the white one next the black tempest and it just looked smaller. Considerably smaller so when they told me another black tempest 114 was on the truck and would be here the following week. We got down to business. The whole time I kept thinking if Missoula's not coming over to pick up his bike until next week and mine is not coming in until next week but his is just sitting here......Crap! It was a long week.

In honor of the man from Missoula this is his bike and the very happy Salesman Jason that made first eye contact with me when I walked in to the dealership that morning. It was a happy day for us both.

There was a lot of haggling back and forth (not really) and I almost walked out a couple of times (lie) unless you count the smoke breaks. In the end I ended up with a sweet deal (Found someone to finance me, plus Jason the salesman bought me a Jimmy Johns sandwich). I couldn’t be happier with the deal…..(Well yeah I could be that not enough time to go there.). They gave me every penny that my trade in was worth. r

I sat with the Parts guys during the finance and wished I would have done a little more prep work on what I was wanting and what is available as far as adding items to the bike. Even though there is not a lot out there that says “Will fit 2018 FLFBS” there is a lot that most likely does still fit. The dealership can get you anything out there. Your not restricted to the Harley Catalog. Grab the Drag Specialties catalog and make a weekend out of it.

The flush mount gas caps do not work with these yet so I returned them. Take the left hand dummy cap off and you'll see why. I’ll post a pic of it below.

The saddle bags are on back order (late December) which turned out okay. I canceled the order when they told me and ended up with the 900 from the bags and the 200 from the gas caps on the books at the dealership to play with. I didn’t plan it that way but I will the next time.

Buying Tip sort of:
Which lead me into a bit of a tip when buying your new Harley. Add the parts you want to the financed amount. If you want to walk away with some money from the bank you will have to include something you are not 100 percent sure you will want and in the end cancel the order before it is installed but after the bank has given the dealer the check. You will get a refund and can get a check (maybe, individual results will vary.) or have some money on the books for some parts you forgot about. It’s much more fun to be able to get the forgotten items quickly vs having to wait a couple paydays while you save for it. If I knew what I was doing I would have added the street cannon also even thought there was a 90% chance I was not going to put them on but it still would have given me that option to install them after I had ridden the bike for a little while or added 500 more to my parts fund.

Better picture coming along with the parts added and some on the way.

To tired to keep going.

To be continued............

The following 9 users liked this post by Gee:
ChrisHo (10-07-2017), Dread (09-28-2017), EricRay (09-28-2017), G'day (10-08-2017), kenny55 (10-14-2017), Rakthi (09-28-2017), Scudda (10-12-2017), soldierbot (09-28-2017), Warrant (11-02-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:10 AM
FNFAL
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool thread....sub'd. I have the same bike so I may borrow some ideas

Last edited by FNFAL; 09-28-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:24 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Fat boy looks good. Did you add the rubber protector on the tank or did it have it on there from the factory?

Old 09-28-2017, 06:47 AM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 629 Posts

I have owned only 5 Bikes, 1973 Suzuki GS 750, 2008 Yamaha Raider, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R, 2016 Harley Breakout, and now my 2018 Fat Boy.

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread-bike2-001.jpg

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread-photo-2-41-.jpg

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread-photo-1-37-.jpg

Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread-photo-3.jpg

Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks. Sharing idea's are a part of the game here. After reading puttnutt24's thread I am switching my grips to the Avon memory foams. I bought the heck can't remember the name of the one's I bought now....Airflow grips (had to go look them up).

I put the tank knee pad kit on it from Harley

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tank-knee-pad-kit

I must squeeze the tank like a scared barrel rider with my thighs or something because the tank gets rough up in that area. Had them on the FLD and it helped keep that part of the tank from getting messed up. Not the best of clear protectant on the new bikes.

I unfortunately was cursed with my Mother's thighs and my Dads sense of humor. Which hasn't been real helpful. keeping my thighs open as a guy has been a waste of time and making jokes about the boss hasn't panned out yet. There's still time though.

EricRay there seems to be a pattern in you life. All nice bikes. I do like your current one I must say. I can't help to notice the resemblance between your first bike and the current ride. By chance did you marry someone that may be similar to one of you grade school teachers. If so I would be a little more envious. You lucky Dog.

Last edited by Gee; 09-28-2017 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gee:
bpav16 (10-09-2017), EricRay (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 11:21 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,544 Likes on 23,327 Posts

Great read and looking forward to reading more of your adventure with the new bike.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks. Looking forward to having some more fun with the bike and the thread.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Dread
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Haha... Awsome... Man that was a fun read! looking forward to you keepin'r goin! Cheers

Old 09-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks.

Wanted to add that the deal they gave me included 10% off the parts I bought. Which they are still honoring with the money that I still have on the books. Which I thought was pretty stand up of them to do. Would have been better to get the full price refunded but getting what I paid for the parts I canceled will work. So don't forget to ask for a break on the parts you going to buy. I know there are people out there better at negotiating a price and a better deal than I ever will be. What was or is important is that I left the dealership happy with the deal I came away with. The same will hold true for you also. Be happy.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Congrats on the new and beautiful bike! And it was a pleasure to read ur post. Keep it up and looking forward to seeing what u do to it. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Gee's 2018 FLFBS Fat Boy 114 thread