Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your typical trade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default Not your typical trade question

I have a 2017 Heritage (Black and gold) with wheel package and LOADED, the bike is done, it has 700 miles and I love it.

My dealer who I'm friends with, well... I am in a position to flip keys no money out of pocket on a 18 Deluxe any color.

its a long story....

Do you do this?

My Pro's are I love my heritage, its exactly how I want it, the 18 has the M8 107, the new frame and its stunning

My cons are - I have about 2k in upgrades ill lose (the stage 1)

Thoughts? Its a standing offer..

Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

One question do you want the M8 and new frame. I traded a 2106 RGU for a 2017 RGU for one reason. The M8. No regrets.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 AM
odie5962
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way and I am a owner of a soft-tail deluxe myself. I would keep what you got......

Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have an ‘18 Deluxe. I haven’t put a lot of miles on it yet, but so far, it’s been great. I also have a ‘17 Slim that I love - if I hadn’t been able to buy the Deluxe without trading in the Slim, I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger. But having both bikes is a nice option.

I never upgrade a bike thinking I’ll ever get my money back on it. If you don’t care about the $$$ you’ve spent on your Heritage, go for it. The one thing I’ll say is that, while I like the M8 so far, I really don’t see that much of an improvement over the TC.

Last edited by Ludwig von Buzzthoven; 03-16-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Default phew

Wow, what a tough call.

The new deluxe is so mouthwateringly beautiful. The 17 Heritage so well refined and kitted. Straight away you miss bags and screen. One thing I guess to consider we are seeing here, as the popularity of the new M8s take hold, because they are great bikes, anything TC is taking quite a hard hit in value. I also suppose if you know the dealer well, another opportunity may come again soon. Perhaps a used 18 deluxe that has been kitted out, or a 2k trade to a 19 Deluxe Ultra that has bags, screen, and a 114. Not that that exist, yet, but variants are sure to come. There will be another deal on the table again soon. The flip is likely to be similar to your current perceived loss.

At the end of the day you'll just have to decide if you like the new bike features that much your willing to upgrade. If you have the benefit of some real time in the saddle, that would settle it for me and the stunning looks and performance of the deluxe would win me over. The more you ride them, the more you want to in my experience. Not knocking anyones elses twin cam, or my own, but I bought my new M8, kept my TC thinking, may the better bike win the pole position in the garage. It did, the m8 was better than expected, in the engine feel alone. Not the power, the torque or any of the numbers, just the feel. The only thing that has kept my twin cam safe from selling is because it's a springer, which is a whole nother story, but it gets far less time out the the M8.

side by side model, or if it was as similar model as heritage vs deluxe..there's no way. The TC would be sold and the new deluxe would win the garage.

Again, not rubbishing the TC, and no reason to run out and buy the latest and greatest, but if i had that on offer, knowing what I know and feeling what I feel for my m8. no contest. new deluxe wins.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:17 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

So am I the only one who thinks "they" really messed up the Deluxe when they changed the seat and the front turn signals?

The following users liked this post:
02DynaWG (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

You will miss the bags and windshield and you'll end up putting those things on, plus engine guard and highways pegs and anything else you have on your Deluxe because not much fits the 18s from the 17s and before.

Though the new bikes are awesome ....

Old 03-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
So am I the only one who thinks "they" really messed up the Deluxe when they changed the seat and the front turn signals?
Yes, you are the only one.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:33 PM
02DynaWG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramblin5
You are definitely NOT the only one. I took my Deluxe in to possibly trade for the new one and didn't even test ride it. It was so damn ugly.

The following users liked this post:
ramblin5 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:34 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

I don't get the turn signal thing either.
They don't fit the nostalgic look of that bike.

They might look good on a different model
A StreetGlide even.

I also don't like the block letter fender embl they've
used the last couple years. The script looks better

Eeeh . . . Just me

Originally Posted by 02DynaWG
You are definitely NOT the only one. I took my Deluxe in to possibly trade for the new one and didn't even test ride it. It was so damn ugly.

The following 2 users liked this post by byersmtrco:
02DynaWG (03-17-2018), Shane T (03-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Not your typical trade question