Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softail Gasoline Leaking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2018 Softail Gasoline Leaking Problem

2018 - 800 mile old Softail Deluxe started leaking gasoline from the the fuel vapor tube that is terminates over the rear drive belt.
The steady dripping occurs during idle or cruising with the filler cap on but does not leak with the tank filler cap removed.
There is only one gallon of fuel in the tank. It's my wifes Deluxe and I don't know how long it's been leaking this way.
I noticed this for the first time after I took the down off the lift after a handlebar swap during a test ride.

Since this is a warranty item, I'll be dropping the bike off at the dealer Monday. However, I don't know if I'd considerable the bike exactly safe to ride at this point.
At any rate I'd like too diagnose the cause of the leak myself and solve if it's a simple fix or accept any any tips.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM
lorenski
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

(2018 FLDE)
After 1000 miles, I started to smell unused gasoline. HD is replacing my fuel pump right now. I did not notice a puddle, but it just smelled rich. I wonder if my issue is related to yours.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 PM
deni
Tourer

HaHa, the service desk stated the fuel pump measured near 70 psi and is replacing like yours.
Unfortunately HD terminated the vapor tube over the the rear drive belt & unless I'm wrong above the swing arm bushing.
I'll see about lengthening the vapor tube as long as it doesn't interfere with anything.

The following users liked this post:
RMcCord (01-12-2019)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 AM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I found a rigid black plastic breather pipe virtually worn through from the top of the belt dive on my new 2017 Deluxe MY18. Over the phone the HD Tech advised it was the fuel tank breather. Very odd for it to terminate right between the belt drive, let alone free floating!

So I could ride it, I cut the damaged 2’’ off and fit an extension with some rubber fuel pipe which fitted tightly over the breather, then clamped the extension tautly with an insulated hose clamp at the rear of the sump. Local HD agent agreed to inspect it at my first service ... which they consequently confirmed my fix was good and have left it as is.

While in for the1st service I had a detailed look at another new 2018 Deluxe on the floor for comparison. Could not find any evidence of the fuel tank breather at the rear LHS of the battery near the drive belt, as per mine. HD must have rerouted the breather on later ones, so hopefully this is not an issue going forward.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

This may be a stupid reply but aren't these things supposed to be under pressure? I would think with all of the EPA regulations that they shouldn't leak a drop, ever!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deni
HaHa, the service desk stated the fuel pump measured near 70 psi and is replacing like yours.
Unfortunately HD terminated the vapor tube over the the rear drive belt & unless I'm wrong above the swing arm bushing.
I'll see about lengthening the vapor tube as long as it doesn't interfere with anything.
Did the fuel pump replacement fix the fuel leaking issue on your wife's bike. My 2018 softail is also dripping fuel from the belt area while the bike is running.

Last edited by P51Driver; 07-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 AM
deni
Tourer

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Did the fuel pump replacement fix the fuel leaking issue on your wife's bike. My 2018 softail is also dripping fuel from the belt area while the bike is running.
AFFIRMATIVE to that.
I ask them to over-night the FP for $20 but it took two days, they credited me the twenty back.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:19 AM
ScottieP
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel leak from the vent tube...

My 2018 Sport Glide started leaking fuel at idle, through the vent tube which terminates pretty much under the left side passenger foot peg, it's just a matter of replacing the gas cap, I had dropped it during a pit stop. Was fine for months but looks like it's responsible for the leak. The tech is ninety percent sure that's the issue. Common issue with an easy fix. Posting to help any other noobs like myself, Happy Holidays y'all! New parts being installed, new pics soon!!!!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

I have the 18 Deluxe .. so far I havent notice any leaks. I suppose it would be easy to spot on the garage floor. Still can one of you guys that do have the leak take a pic showing where you spotted the trouble. I will of course check when I get home. Knowledge is power !

Thanks !

Old 01-12-2019, 02:17 PM
ScottieP
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fix: The fuel pressure regulator had to be rotated 180 degrees and the nozzle on the regulator adjusted to fix my FLSB.

Quick Reply: 2018 Softail Gasoline Leaking Problem