Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Braces

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 AM
sledgeb1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Saddlebag Braces

Bought the wife a 2013 110th Anniversary Fatboy Lo and want to put saddlebags on it. Unfortunately it seems none of the standard brackets work. I was assured the ones in the picture would work, they do not. The rear footpeg and pipes interfere, and even if it attached the bag would be sitting on top of the pipes. Anyone have a recommendation of a bracket that would actually work?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you wanting to run full size FLH fiberglass bags? If so, I don't know of anyone that makes a bracket that will clear those pipes, they are up too high. We make bags to fit that exhaust (LP3200 series shown below) and don't require turn signal relocation. They are quick detach and the bracket is built into the bag. Just depends on what you want to put on your bike, but if you did mount the hard FLH bags up high enough to clear the pipes, they would look funny because the tops would be way above the fender.

Keep ridin'
Garry

The following users liked this post:
Rt13MFer (08-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
sledgeb1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

no these are standard leather bags

Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sledgeb1
no these are standard leather bags

If that is the case, you should be able to just get a set of U shaped saddlebag supports if you want to bolt the bags on. If you want to have them detachable check out greatbikegear.com.

Garry

Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Why not just buy here a Heritage to begin with and save the hassle? putting bags on a FB basically turns it into a Heritage (less the shield)

Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
Why not just buy here a Heritage to begin with and save the hassle? putting bags on a FB basically turns it into a Heritage (less the shield)
Perhaps the reason not to buy a Heritage is because they already have a Fatboy?
It sure seems like I use this clip often.

Originally Posted by sledgeb1
I was assured the ones in the picture would work, they do not. The rear footpeg and pipes interfere, and even if it attached the bag would be sitting on top of the pipes. Anyone have a recommendation of a bracket that would actually work?
As you have figured out the bottom of the brackets that you show sit right above the rear axle, which is way below the top of your Wife's pipes so they will not work.
Also those brackets are intended to be use with "hard bags" not leather ones however I suppose they could work with leather if you can figure out how to secure the bags.

As LeatherPros eluded too I think you're going to have to go with some form of "universal" U-shaped brackets.

The one's below may not work for you application but they should give you an ideal of what they are.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/840...pport-brackets

Also a typical full sized bag will likely be too big and will be difficult to mount securely.
You probably will need to go with some smaller "throw-over" bags.

With the Saddlemen Express you can adjust how low they hang so you should be able to get them high enough to clear the pipes.
I put these on my Wife's Suzuki Savage and "clamped" them on to the U-brackets vs. throwing them over.

I think they look pretty good and are big enough for some rain gear and personal items.
I wouldn't load them down with too much weight though.

https://www.saddlemen.com/express-cr...umbo-universal

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-13-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
W.Murphy
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the easy brackets on my Fatboy & they work great, easy on an off plus they lock on and will work fine with soft bags.. Easy Brackets

Old 07-13-2018, 12:21 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a '17 Slim that has similar if not the same pipes as your bike. I put U style standoffs on it, I don't remember where or brand. I then got some throw overs which are adjustable, but they really didn't adjust up high enough. I cut the "flaps" so the bags would ride high enough and then pop riveted them together. The flaps were designed to overlap and lace up with cord. I used the existing holes that were left for the rivets after cutting. I then zip tied the lower straps to the standoffs. Kind of semi permanent, but can be cut off in seconds if I want to remove the bags and just a few seconds to put them back on. The bags are River Roads, hold their shape real well and look good. They also hold quite a bit. I got them from Revzilla. Not expensive, paid quite a bit for the bike not much left for expensive accessories.
kk