Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

107 vs 114 Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:58 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

(Honest question... why would you NOT want ABS?)

Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
Going to run into strong opinions on both sides of this.

For me, I’ve been riding street 32 years, commuting daily, and never had ABS nor did I ever need it. My 2018 Heritage and my 2017 BMW R nine T are my first bikes with it and in 13,000 miles (combined so far) I’ve never encountered it.

I appreciate my bike doing only what I tell it, when I tell it, without an overriding system deciding better. Just what I’m used to and how I ride. Making the decisions on our bikes and being “in control” is a big part of the ride experience for some of us. Add into that picture that ABS sometimes fails (yes extremely rarely) and causes worse situations than if it weren’t present. I’m sure the vast numbers of people it’s helped is enormous compared to the few it’s hurt, but I can understand not wanting to add another variable outside my control to a vital system on my bike. Especially one that has never been part of my reality or interest as a rider. Close calls I had when I was younger taught me invaluable lessons I might not have learned if ABS has stepped in and took over.

Why do I have it on my bikes? It came with automatically and I’d never choose anything about owning or riding a bike based on ABS pro or not. I’d like to believe if the worst case scenario ever came up it would magically save my ***, but I absolutely never assume and that’s how I like it. In the meantime I’ll take care of my own well-being as best possible by trusting what I’ve proven to myself.

To each their own.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

With ABS your bike still does what you tell it... when you tell it (and on many bikes you can turn it off in case you need to, ie off-roading a GS)

It’s just that in a normal wheel-locking skid situation, ABS stops that lock-up happening and (potentially) any resulting spills.

I can’t understand why anyone would NOT want that. I’ve had a mix of bikes over the last 20 years and would choose ABS every time. Knowing how many times I’ve laid rubber when braking on my non-ABS bikes, I’m fully aware of how many times it must have helped me without me knowing.

I get your notion of learning to ride without safely assistance to become a better rider but having the learnt experience I already have, I’ll take the extra help/piece of mind

Absolutely agree, ‘each to their own’ but it does seem that being dismissive of ABS (perhaps without having lived with it?) is a slightly odd standpoint.

Last edited by stinkerbill; 07-20-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,842 Likes on 17,456 Posts

If Harley had a honest to God bulletproof ABS system like everybody else in the world which they don't by the way many like myself and others wouldn't be opposed to it. Ridden both way's and I personally do not like the way HD's system works and it's failure prone.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

Ok, so this is directed towards Harley’s ABS specifically?

(I must admit I ride so slowly/calmly on my Harley compared to other bikes that I’ll probably never trouble the ABS to try it out!)

Old 07-20-2018, 11:39 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,842 Likes on 17,456 Posts

Ok, so this is directed towards Harley’s ABS specifically?

(I must admit I ride so slowly/calmly on my Harley compared to other bikes that I’ll probably never trouble the ABS to try it out!)
My issues with it is, can't say for anyone else. I'm an aggressive rider with lots of dry canyon and hill county for my playground, HD's systems threshold is funky for habits.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 07-20-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM
slimatsea
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I knew I wanted a black heritage 114 when I went to the dealer. I asked to test ride one and when the salesman came out to accompany me on my test ride he was on a black heritage 107. They let me ride the 114, then the 107, then the 114 and then the 107 again. 4 laps around the same all right turn test ride loop the dealer uses through town. The rides confirmed my initial thought that the 114 was worth the price difference. It helps that I like the ventilator AC and I would have added one to the 107 anyway so that closed the gap by $300. Lastly, my buddy had a 2017 CVO with the 114 that he put the torque cam in and I loved the way that bike rode. I had a 2017 limited that I did stage 4 with the HP Cam and although it was fun, I preferred his powerband. When the new softails came out and I saw I could get a 100lb lighter bike with that stroker 114, I knew I had to pick one up and add the torque cam. In my opinion, if you plan on doing a cam change the 114 is a better platform than the 107, with Harley or aftermarket cams. If the difference between the two bike was bore, I'd say the cost upgrade wouldn't be such a great value. But to get a stroker for that price difference is a great deal.

The following users liked this post:
desertwolf (07-20-2018)