Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I doubt between 2018 114 Bob or Boy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts
Default I doubt between 2018 114 Bob or Boy

Hi all,

I just sold my XL1200S and that means I got room for a new bike ,it was against my will but I just do not have a place anymore, without the XL I still got 6 other bikes and a Quad to give shelter to .

I had the 114 Fat Bob or Fat Boy in my head for a while now, so there was room to be made and the XL was the best choice for me to make room. Now I'm in doubt between the 2 of them, I like the overall looks from the new Fat Bob except the rear. I find the rear fender to high from the the tire and the tire to small. The Fat Boy, I love the looks and the vintage style with a little modern touch.

My guess is that the Bob would drive sportier and would be easier to handle in heavy traffic then the Boy. So I'm planning a testdrive with both of them except my dealer got only the Bob for this moment so I will have to wait a while to compare them.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a no brainer to me. Fat Boy.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

No brainer to me the other way! Fat Bob all the way.

I do like the new Fat Boy a lot, but the 'Bob is a better handling bike. You can always lower the rear end if you want a different look.

I guess it depends on what kind of riding you want to do on it......

But yeah - try them both and then make your decision.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:04 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Ride 'em both and you'll want both ha ha!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 PM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks @WhiteNoise, @adm and @badcoocky for the reply's

Originally Posted by adm
........... You can always lower the rear end if you want a different look.
I fear that if the rear is lowered, it would looks like a chopper and the handling is negative affected. Thunderbike did a build on a 2018 Bob but they went to radical in my opinion, I like the
look of the rear but it is too similar with my Breakout.

What I am looking for is a bike that I can use when I go to my friends with their Harley's and my wife goes with me. Now I always have to take my Goldwing when my wife comes along
and do not get me wrong, the Goldwing is a fantastic tour bike but less suitable to move through heavy traffic and traffic jams plus I am the only one with a Japanese bike

To drive alone, I have more than enough choice but not with a passenger, if I know that it is heavy traffic, I take a Sportster because it is very easy to handle and that I want to be able to
do that when my wife comes along. ..... and no I do not put a duo-seat on one of my Sportsters

I know it's a luxury problem but they are problems also , the testdrive should be the best way to make the decision.

Last edited by MoneyFor; 07-24-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 PM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcooky
Ride 'em both and you'll want both ha ha!
I'm afraid of that too

Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Thanks @WhiteNoise, @adm and @badcoocky for the reply's

What I am looking for is a bike that I can use when I go to my friends with their Harley's and my wife goes with me.
Well.....for a two up posing bike, the Fat Boy will probably be the better choice. Neither bike has what you might call a comfortable pillion seat for your wife though, although the Fat Boy will score a little bit higher here. Of course, better pillion seats (HD Sundowner for example) are available for both bikes.

The Fat Bob is more of a "Hooligan" bike for throwing around and will be much better in heavy traffic than the Fat Boy.

Enjoy the test rides!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:34 PM
BCL0125
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new Fat Bob. Once you get rid of that exhaust its a different bike. The only thing I will tell you is get a new seat if you are going on long rides. I have been numb from the waste down after an hour and a half of riding.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:10 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,381 Likes on 2,210 Posts

I have a 114Boy - It’s not a great bike for traffic but its a great cruiser. I’m riding 40+ years and have at least 250k miles under my belt... In other threads its stated this bike is a flick-able ride - It’s not. No big tire bike is. It’s ride is like a Buick - comfy and precise but your not going slomoning with it. My only bitch with the bike is the stock seat sucks but Saddlemen cured that. I love the bike. I test rode the Bob - IMO its a completely different bike. Handling is quicker but it was not my objective. Either way you’re good

Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

A small update with a big outcome

This morning I decided to take a drive to a dealer a bit further away from home,i did this to enjoy the nice weather and the ride there with my Breakout.

So this dealer had both the Boy & Bob in his showroom and.... also both models to rent out ( I did not now that ) so that was a plus for this dealer. Everyone was very friendly and the son of owner was very helpful and ensured that I could make a test drive with both without this being agreed . The first bike was the Bob and I went for a small drive with it, a piece of highway and then some smaller roads. I was pleasantly surprised by the torque at the bottom and the agility of the engine. I was exactly on my way with my 48 if I want to compare the manageability.

Then I took the Boy for a ride but after 5 minutes my choice was already made... the Bob was the better choice for me. So I negotiated with the son about the price and I had the choice between shiny black, mat black and white... the final choice surprised even me... I bought a white Bob today

The dealer trowed in a free delivery of the bike at my home next Tuesday so I went back home with a big smile . I was home about 2 o'clock and I've got a phone call from the dealer and I already feared a problem but no ...it was a big suprise...they asked me if they could deliver the bike this evening because they had to come in my direction for another delivery. So me very happy and you also see that they still have confidence in the people because I have not paid anything yet and can only do so on Monday, that was no problem at all for them. Big thumbs up for that dealer and service.

So if everything goes as plan, I'm a proud owner of a 114 white bob to night

The following 3 users liked this post by MoneyFor:
Dan D. (07-29-2018), SgtThump (08-03-2018), soldierbot (06-21-2019)

Quick Reply: I doubt between 2018 114 Bob or Boy