Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems using Google maps on your phone for route planning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs down Problems using Google maps on your phone for route planning

This is the 4th time I have planned a route like this and sent it to my phone (Moto Z Play) to use as a route to take while riding my motorcycle. I like to have a route set up as a Just in case for emergencies in case something happens and we do not return like an accident or get run off the road into a ditch. I keep it up on my screen on the computer at home and post it to my Social media acct. Each and every time I try to use it, it never works. Every time it tries rerouting me right back home. After three-four "u-turns" it stops and asks me if I want to continue. Since I am wearing leather gloves, I cannot do anything on screen unless I pull off the side of the road and remove my gloves. For motorcycle riders, this application is useless and a big waste of time and resources. I am better off writing my waypoints on a piece of Post-it tape and sticking it on my gas tank!

Old 11-18-2018, 04:48 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

In fairness, if you want a route with preset waypoints, then Google maps is not your best tool. Google will always try and get you to your end destination the quickest way possible.

You need a route planning app that can exports a gps file to a nav app.

Scenic is pretty good:

Scenic

Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What Adm said........I use Scenic and love it.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Anyone got a good one for an ANDROID?

The following 2 users liked this post by MURPHCC1:
DDRD (11-20-2019), DrPlastic (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 PM
felix27
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I use Scenic also. Works.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

You can use the free Harley app to do this too. Plot out the route with waypoints on the computer, and log into the same account on the app. Save the route on the computer and it will be available on the app. Press the "ride it" button and it will give you turn by turn directions on the app, similar to Google Maps navigation.

It isn't perfect, but it's free and it does generally work.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:04 PM
wkent
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I plan my route on google maps, computer, with waypoints. Sent to my phone as text, so I can reload it if something goes wrong. I also carry a touch screen stylus so I can use phone with gloves on. I have not experience the issue you describe. FWIW

Old 11-19-2018, 01:36 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wkent
I plan my route on google maps, computer, with waypoints. Sent to my phone as text, so I can reload it if something goes wrong. I also carry a touch screen stylus so I can use phone with gloves on. I have not experience the issue you describe. FWIW
See therein lies the rub....I do the exact same thing you do (plan my route on google maps, computer, with waypoints. Sent to my phone as text) but don't use a stylus, of which I may try that if there is one that will work with my phone. I think the issue is when I end my route I have it starting then ending at the same point and I think it it is getting confused. I will have to test that theory out. Funny thing is I have a Tom Tom Rider II but you cannot just go and plan a route like we do in google Maps and download it to the GPS unit. If I can nail down this Google maps issue I will be selling the Tom tom.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:41 PM
wkent
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I end my route short of home

The following users liked this post:
DrPlastic (11-22-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:00 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

I purchased the Garmin 595LM and it was well worth it. Durable, you can use gloves, alerts you of speed limit changes, school zones, excellent route planning and directions, MP3 player, Bluetooth, phone connectivity for incoming outgoing calls, text messages, tire pressure monitor. I would not take a trip without it.

Last edited by kenny55; 11-20-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Problems using Google maps on your phone for route planning