Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bore Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 AM
Wagondog
Road Captain
Received 439 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Big Bore Question

After getting my 2000 Heritage home I’ve had time to get into all the paperwork. Her owner was meticulous regarding records and has the original bill from 10/99 which includes the big bore conversion.
I have nothing to compare the difference in performance....never rode a stock 88. Is there a noticeable difference from stock after the conversion is made.
Thanks for your time.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,436 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Wagondog
After getting my 2000 Heritage home I’ve had time to get into all the paperwork. Her owner was meticulous regarding records and has the original bill from 10/99 which includes the big bore conversion.
I have nothing to compare the difference in performance....never rode a stock 88. Is there a noticeable difference from stock after the conversion is made.
Thanks for your time.

In a word.... yes...

The early Harley 95ci big bore kits came with SE203 cams and an HD flash tune...

I had the HD 95ci big bore kit put into my '03 Heritage about 4 months after I purchased it new... it was a very noticeable seat-of-the-pants difference and the bike ran well...

About 7 years ago I had DynoJet give me an improved version of that HD download tune and I flashed it to my bike.... it ran even better...!!

Full disclosure... I have the sickness.. I never leave a Harley with a stock engine. I've done everything from a Stage I (air cleaner, exhaust, tune) to installing a large crate engine.

IMHO....The best bang for the buck is a well planned big bore upgrade.... By well planned, I mean purchasing a kit, from a shop that matches parts that work well, compliment each other... not just a gaggle of parts from a catalog... and of course, the tune is very important..

Old 03-06-2020, 01:38 PM
Wagondog
Road Captain
Received 439 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
In a word.... yes...

The early Harley 95ci big bore kits came with SE203 cams and an HD flash tune...

I had the HD 95ci big bore kit put into my '03 Heritage about 4 months after I purchased it new... it was a very noticeable seat-of-the-pants difference and the bike ran well...

About 7 years ago I had DynoJet give me an improved version of that HD download tune and I flashed it to my bike.... it ran even better...!!

Full disclosure... I have the sickness.. I never leave a Harley with a stock engine. I've done everything from a Stage I (air cleaner, exhaust, tune) to installing a large crate engine.

IMHO....The best bang for the buck is a well planned big bore upgrade.... By well planned, I mean purchasing a kit, from a shop that matches parts that work well, compliment each other... not just a gaggle of parts from a catalog... and of course, the tune is very important..
Thanks for the reply...sorry it took a while to acknowledge. I finally have her registered, NY has adopted April only bike registration. I look forward to the first piece of highway soon
thanks!

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (03-06-2020)