Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lighting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 04:03 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts
Default LED lighting question

I want to put LED lights on my 2009 Heritage. Planning to switch over the headlights, spots, turn signals, tail light, and fender tip lights. My bike already has the module that makes the rear turns act as running/brake/turn signals and it flashes the brake. That module was on it when I bought the bike, so I don’t know exactly what it is.

Ive read about possibly needing a load resistor if the turns flash too quickly. I understand the concept, but not the details of where and how the resistor is installed. Are there aftermarket flashers designed to work with LED turns?

Old 05-02-2021, 04:32 PM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,404 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I have the Custom Dynamics triple-play turn signal unit, works fine with my LED's. I think they also make a load resistor unit. They also make high quality LED's, though I have LED's from Paradise Lights, who I also recommend. Anyway, check Custom Dynamics website re the load resistor.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:29 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,436 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Custom Dynamics has stand alone load equalizers for pre-Canbus bikes with LED turn signals, and stand alone Run/Brake/Turn turn modules to make your rear turn signals function also as running lights, brake lights AND turn signals...

They also have the triple play module, mentioned by "crtfibl", which does both jobs in one module...

The two module set-up just has both modules piggy backed together in the main harness between the harness/rear lights connector under the seat... Obviously, the Triple Play mounts in the same location, but it is only one module..

Just FYI......

They may have fixed their fitment charts, as they requested photos and also called me about an issue I reported to them with the Triple Play module.....

I ordered the Triple Play module for my '03 EFI Heritage, per their fitment guide... It WOULD NOT FIT between the battery and the ECM (electronic control module), because the Triple Play module was too thick. It was also too thick to fit along the sides or front of the battery....

Luckily, I also have an '01 Springer that had their older (and thinner) set-up with two separate modules, a R/T/B module and a separate load equalizer module.....

The bigger Triple Play module was able to fit on the '01, because it has a carb. The Triple Play module did fit underneath the ICU (ignition control unit), because it is smaller than the Heritage's ECM....

I mounted the two separate, smaller modules on the Heritage. I split up their mounting locations. I put one between the battery & ECM and one tucked in front of the battery.

Hope that made sense...

I just wanted to share the issue I had with the Triple Play module fitment on an EFI softail. The Triple Play module is a good, all-in-one module, working just fine, plug & play, on my '01 Springer...

Old 05-08-2021, 03:50 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 810 Likes on 543 Posts

I did Custom Dynamics all the way around, well worth the money, if you decide to change the bulbs in the passing lamps you'll need to change the lamp housing if you have the sealed beams. Also Eagle Lights makes great kits for the head and passing lamps. I may end up that way, I had on on my Dyna and liked it.

Part Finder (customdynamics.com)
Eagle Lights | The best LED headlights and turn signals for Harleys – EagleLights

Old 05-08-2021, 04:30 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,738 Likes on 2,403 Posts

To directly answer your question the resistor goes in parallel with the led such that the two together draw a similar amount of current as a bulb to "fool" the turn signal module.

Most of the pre made units have an in and an out connector so it can be easily connected inline but internally it will be in parallel with the led light.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:01 AM
firefour
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

My advice! Contact Eagle Lights! They are very knowledgeable, They answer all your questions and their lighting and prices are fantastic. Lifetime warranty also that can't be beat!

Old 07-13-2022, 07:27 AM
Emingcas
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever thought of using an LED strip? The main advantage of the LED strip is the ease of installation because it is quite simple to install. Besides, any motorcyclist can easily do it; for this, there is no need to carry a vehicle for maintenance. Another advantage of such a tape can be considered durability, and because it is quite cheap, you can change the backlight of the motorcycle at least every day. For example, I bought myself some of these tapes https://www.vont.com/product/smart-s...-strip-lights/, and it looks cool.

Last edited by Emingcas; 07-13-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:41 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Emingcas
Have you ever thought of using an LED strip? The main advantage of the LED strip is the ease of installation because it is quite simple to install. Besides, any motorcyclist can easily do it; for this, there is no need to carry a vehicle for maintenance. Another advantage of such a tape can be considered durability, and because it is quite cheap, you can change the backlight of the motorcycle at least every day. For example, I bought myself some of these tapes https://www.vont.com/product/smart-s...-strip-lights/, and it looks cool.
Last post previous to yours was May 2021. They may have solved it by now.
No worries, we've all been victim of zombie threads.