Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Load Eq. Question

Old 01-26-2018, 07:36 AM
dab102999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Load Eq. Question

I have a 2010 Ultra, when I bought the bike it already had upgraded LED turn signals. I finally decided on a Harley LED brake light and triple play so I could make my flashers flash. Upon doing the install it said I need to add a load equalizer. In doing some internet searches it also says even to upgrade the turn signals a load equalizer must be added too. From what I can tell there is no load equalizer on the bike, at least not where I can see so my question is how important is a load equalizer and what exactly will it do for me. All the lights seem to work like I want them to. Will a load equalizer slow down the strobe function or what? I don't have a problem adding one but to spend $90 for nothing don't really appeal that much to me. A lot of other areas I can spend $90 for nothing on the bike....lol

Old 01-26-2018, 07:57 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Don’t know what brand LED turn signals u have but regardless I would suggest you call Custom Dynamics with your question. I have quite a few of there products on my bike and have had questions for them and they have been very helpful.
Give them a buzz I’m sure they wouldn’t mi d helping you out. Good luck

Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

LED lights require very little power, compared with normal incandescent light bulbs, so the stock light flasher unit cannot make the LEDs flash at the same speed as they should. A load equalizer (LE - they have other names, just to add confusion!) fools the stock flasher unit into thinking your LEDs are normal bulbs, so the lights flash as if nothing has changed. Badlands is a brand that makes several version of LE, I have one on my Glide. Hope that helps!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by leftyjm
Don’t know what brand LED turn signals u have but regardless I would suggest you call Custom Dynamics with your question. I have quite a few of there products on my bike and have had questions for them and they have been very helpful.
Give them a buzz I’m sure they wouldn’t mi d helping you out. Good luck

They are Harley LED. The 3" version. Never thought about calling them. I need to look up different LE like grbrown mentioned first just to make sure one isn't on the bike and I just don't see it. I assume the Custom Dynamic one would plug in under the seat and that is the only place I have really looked so far. Thank you both for your help.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
LED lights require very little power, compared with normal incandescent light bulbs, so the stock light flasher unit cannot make the LEDs flash at the same speed as they should. A load equalizer (LE - they have other names, just to add confusion!) fools the stock flasher unit into thinking your LEDs are normal bulbs, so the lights flash as if nothing has changed. Badlands is a brand that makes several version of LE, I have one on my Glide. Hope that helps!

I never noticed my flashers flashing at any other speed then normial before I did this upgrade and actually don't notice a difference after either. Seems to flash (turn signal wise) at same speed as my other bikes that have incondencet bulbs. Thank you for your response, when I get home today I am going to look the bike over real good to make sure there isn't one already on it and I am just missing it. I did not know there where other brands besides Custom, I assume these other brands will pretty much be plug and play as far as conection to the harness?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:27 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If your LED blinkers are operating normally, I can guarantee you have a LE already on the bike.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:56 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
If your LED blinkers are operating normally, I can guarantee you have a LE already on the bike.
Why, Shannon? What do they do if not?

My buddy put LED's on his bike, and they worked normally...BUT there was other weird electronic **** going on prior to putting a LE on. One odd thing was that if he used his turn signal, his red security light would come on, and would not turn off until he stopped his bike and turned it off. Get back on, use a turn signal, same thing all over again. It was weird. But I can't remember if I ever noticed that the signals flashed differently.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Some pre can bus bikes functioned ok with one set of LED signals installed, like my 13 RG. Others fast flashed immediately. As soon as I installed the fronts with the rears it threw a code and I got the fast flash on the dash. The actual signal rate was fine, but added the eq to stop the codes/fast flash.

Can't remember where, but could swear I read in the past that the CD smart play units had equalizers built in

Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Why, Shannon? What do they do if not?

My buddy put LED's on his bike, and they worked normally...BUT there was other weird electronic **** going on prior to putting a LE on. One odd thing was that if he used his turn signal, his red security light would come on, and would not turn off until he stopped his bike and turned it off. Get back on, use a turn signal, same thing all over again. It was weird. But I can't remember if I ever noticed that the signals flashed differently.
What Roadie said above. ^^^^^

Old 01-26-2018, 11:30 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Can't remember where, but could swear I read in the past that the CD smart play units had equalizers built in

Don't know about that but the instructions for the CD install said I had to add a LE so I would say no to one being built in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Load Eq. Question