Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lever too stiff after swapping levers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 10:49 AM
jj14x
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake lever too stiff after swapping levers

Edit: just realized I posted in the wrong sub - Mods, could you please delete this? I'll create new post in the right forum

Hi! This is the opposite of the usual problem, so unsure how to address.
2019 FXFBS - I wanted to swap my chrome levers out with the black ones - bought the HD ones (non-adjustable). Install was fairly simple - followed the video at

The clutch lever is great (actually feels a little bit easier to pull - which makes no sense) - I verified that the clip at the bottom is in the right position.

However, the brake lever is really tight - as in, almost no play. With the old lever, I could pull it about half an inch or so before it would start applying the brakes, and even then, it was relatively gradual/smooth. I could never pull the brake lever more than half way in (so, it was not spongy/soft) - it was just right. With the new lever, it has almost no play. So, squeezing the brakes is using the tips of my index/middle fingers - where as with the old lever, I got max brakes when the lever was close to my middle knuckle.

The brake lever doesn't really seem to have any adjustments that I could have screwed up (that I could see) - and I didn't open the brake reservoir at all.
Any suggestions on how to make it a little softer? (I could buy the adjustable ones as a last resort, but trying to avoid spending another $250-$300 for that)

Last edited by jj14x; 09-18-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong sub -
Old 09-22-2021, 05:44 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,927 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Just a thought. Remove the powder coating from the contact areas of the lever. Most coaters do a good job of sealing holes and exposed surfaces that could have an interference fit. Powder coating is thicker than most people think. We are talking about Harley produced pieces here after all.