Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley wire for handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:47 PM
82flh
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default harley wire for handlebars?

so i assume 18 gauge or 16 gauge...i have both however...the wire i have is much softer...when you strip a harley wire the wire is much harder...is there a certain type that its called? i soldered one as an experiment...it broke from being such a soft brass wire...harley wire has much larger strands...anyone?...i really need 60" if possible in length....48 will work if i splice....its for 20" apes

Old 02-03-2023, 08:03 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I worked in the electrical wire and cable business for over 40 years. My take:

Copper wire, not brass, is used. Stranded (multiple, individual lengths of wire twisted together) wire is generally used in auto (including motorcycle) wiring applications. More flexibility is achieved by stranding many more smaller diameter wires together than a few larger diameter wires. The smaller diameter wires in a flexible strand are easier to break during assembly, however.

Seven-strand wire is often used in industrial wiring applications. Most wire used in automotive applications is 19-strand.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:27 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I saw a video this morning where he (fix my hog guy) was talking about different wiring connection methods and said although the soldered area is strong too much heat can weaken the wire near the joint.
I was just shopping on eBay last night for wires. One listing was specified as GLX. I looked up GLX and it is automotive wire. There is SLX and GLX. SLX has heavier insulation, so a larger outside diameter for same guage wire. GLX has a smaller diameter but the wire is not as flexible. Both are good for engine compartments so I assume they are fine for handlebars. i found one seller that had packs of 16 gauge GLX, 10 colors, 10 feet each. I haven't looked for sheathing yet and I'm not sure if the 7 strands of 16 gauge will fit through the switch housing/ dimple for external wiring. I am working on a 84 FXST, seven wires each side, 16" apes, externally wired. I'm going to need connectors too for under the tank. PO really did a number on the wires when they installed the bars.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:40 AM
daltana
Advanced
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vicsponjr
I saw a video this morning where he (fix my hog guy) was talking about different wiring connection methods and said although the soldered area is strong too much heat can weaken the wire near the joint.
I was just shopping on eBay last night for wires. One listing was specified as GLX. I looked up GLX and it is automotive wire. There is SLX and GLX. SLX has heavier insulation, so a larger outside diameter for same guage wire. GLX has a smaller diameter but the wire is not as flexible. Both are good for engine compartments so I assume they are fine for handlebars. i found one seller that had packs of 16 gauge GLX, 10 colors, 10 feet each. I haven't looked for sheathing yet and I'm not sure if the 7 strands of 16 gauge will fit through the switch housing/ dimple for external wiring. I am working on a 84 FXST, seven wires each side, 16" apes, externally wired. I'm going to need connectors too for under the tank. PO really did a number on the wires when they installed the bars.
Try pricing wire at wirebarn.com
The have/had good prices on both types of wire in your post.