Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Fatboy stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 08:42 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2012 Fatboy stalling issue

I have a 2012 Fatboy and I’ve been running a Powervision tune on it for the past several years. I’ve had it out several times this season so far on the warmer days and has been running fine, up until the midpoint of my ride on Sunday. I stopped at a gas station for a few minutes for a snack, and when I came back out it started up fine, but when I stopped before pulling out of the lot the idle was low and it began to sputter and then stalled. I popped it in neutral and started the bike - it was still idling low but I compensated with the throttle and was able to pull out. I travelled about 5 miles on the highway at 55-60 mph until exiting onto side streets. I had no issues at multiple stop signs or lights for the rest of the way home

Today turned out to be sunny and 73° so I decided to take a ride after work. I started the bike and let it warm up for a few minutes. I left the house and had no issues at the first couple of stop signs. By the time I made it to the next one approx half a mile from home I felt it stutter and by the next one it stalled completely. Restarted and took it for a short ride and after that it’s been intermittent, sometimes it will idle other times it will not. Looking for advice on what to look into first. I typically run ethanol free fuel or Sunoco 93 and the last two times I topped the tank off was at a local Sheetz station with ethanol free 90 octane. Ran fine the first day, I was about 50 miles (or a bit over a gallon) into the second tank full when these problems started occurring. Do you think it is bad fuel? Or possibly a bad fuel filter? I attached the Powervision tonight and found no error codes. Looking for some advice on what to check...Thank you in advance.

Last edited by gilmour68; 04-04-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:24 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,422 Likes on 4,024 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
I have a 2012 Fatboy and I’ve been running a Powervision tune on it for the past several years. I’ve had it out several times this season so far on the warmer days and has been running fine, up until the midpoint of my ride on Sunday. I stopped at a gas station for a few minutes for a snack, and when I came back out it started up fine, but when I stopped before pulling out of the lot the idle was low and it began to sputter and then stalled. I popped it in neutral and started the bike - it was still idling low but I compensated with the throttle and was able to pull out. I travelled about 5 miles on the highway at 55-60 mph until exiting onto side streets. I had no issues at multiple stop signs or lights for the rest of the way home

Today turned out to be sunny and 73° so I decided to take a ride after work. I started the bike and let it warm up for a few minutes. I left the house and had no issues at the first couple of stop signs. By the time I made it to the next one approx half a mile from home I felt it stutter and by the next one it stalled completely. Restarted and took it for a short ride and after that it’s been intermittent, sometimes it will idle other times it will not. Looking for advice on what to look into first. I typically run ethanol free fuel or Sunoco 93 and the last two times I topped the tank off was at a local Sheetz station with ethanol free 90 octane. Ran fine the first day, I was about 50 miles (or a bit over a gallon) into the second tank full when these problems started occurring. Do you think it is bad fuel? Or possibly a bad fuel filter? I attached the Powervision tonight and found no error codes. Looking for some advice on what to check...Thank you in advance.

I would start by cleaning the IAC (Idle Air Control).

A dirty IAC will cause the symptoms you are experiencing without throwing a code... It is a common issue and easily remedied... If that doesn't stop your problem, it was at least some good preventative maintenance and not a waste of time..

Rather than me typing it all out, there are videos I am sure and numerous posts on this forum if you search, that describe the process.... it'a not hard..

Report back if it fixes your issue..

Good luck with the repair...

Last edited by hattitude; 04-05-2023 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Thanks Hattitude, I spoke with some techs at Fuel Moto and they suggested cleaning the throttle body and IAC, great customer service from Fuel Moto BTW...I watched a few videos of the cleaning process and I think this is likely the problem. I picked up a can of non-chlorinated cleaner and I'll go thru the process tomorrow. With any luck, I'll be back in the saddle for the holiday weekend. Thank you for the suggestion.

hattitude (04-05-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 07:26 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Cleaned up the IAC yesterday and everything is back to normal. Never had to clean the throttle body before but I'll make it part of my routine from here on out. Took the bike for a chilly 100 mile ride today and it performed flawlessly.

The following 2 users liked this post by gilmour68:
hattitude (04-07-2023), MarlinSpike (04-08-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:07 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,422 Likes on 4,024 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
Cleaned up the IAC yesterday and everything is back to normal. Never had to clean the throttle body before but I'll make it part of my routine from here on out. Took the bike for a chilly 100 mile ride today and it performed flawlessly.

IMHO... it's because the breathers are venting into the throttle body....

It's an EPA thing... no engineer would ever suggest, let alone design, a system that puts oily blow-by, back into an engine if not mandated by the EPA...

I've yet to put 5K miles on any of my Twin Cams, whether purchased new or used, before moving the breather hose away from the air cleaner...

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for sharing the solution...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
MarlinSpike (04-08-2023), TownesVanZandt (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 10:18 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 584 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for the update.
I recently rerouted my breather tubes out of the inlet and need to clean the controller. It's getting to be riding time here so I better get to it!

Old 04-09-2023, 03:45 PM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 584 Likes on 346 Posts

Removing and cleaning the IAC was actually pretty easy and straightforward. Did not do near as much as the manual states.
If I was smart I would have thought to do that back when I had everything off the bike - dumbass ....
Mine was covered in a layer of gunk. Cleaned and good to go and should stay clean now with the breathers eliminated from the intake.

hattitude (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 11:55 PM
Ian Hoots
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A good check to do while you have the cleaner in your hand and the air cleaner off, is to give the inlet manifold a squirt where it mounts to the head with the engine idling. If it idles up you probably have a leak. It's not a big dal to re-seal whilst its half apart