Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax w/AutoTune

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ThunderMax w/AutoTune

After doing some research, I'm really starting to like the sound of the ThunderMax w/ AutoTune for my new Softail Custom. I'd like to know how others feel about the ThunderMax. Pros/Cons? I'd especially like to hear from those are running one now or have run one, rather than those who have "heard" things about them. However those opinions are welcomed as well. I have a SERT on order now but have no idea when it will be out for the '08s. Of course, with the SERT, I'm gonna have to get it Dyno tuned and anytime I make a new mod, I'm gonna have to get it tuned again. At $300 for each Dyno tune, that get's expensive after a while. The ThunderMax doesn't require a Dyno tune, so even though it's more expensive up front, it could save money in the long run. Not to mention the AutoTune feature sounds awesome. Oh and the fact that it works for the '08s is a big plus too. So how do you guys like the ThunderMax?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax w/AutoTune

I got it on my bike, Love it! it does everything they claim it does. Their customer service/support is outstanding as well!

Don't hesitate to contact them with question,They will be glad to talk to you. Zipper's has a excellent rep. here in the northeast.

installation is a breeze as well!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed one three days ago on my 2007 Heritage Classic. Have a Ness Big Sucker and Rush 1.75 pipes, for now everything else is stock. I have no pinging, no popping, plugs are perfect color. I have put 300 miles on the unit and it keeps running better. Installation was straight forward, although I had to buy a USB to RS 232 converter cable. I would get the one from Zippers, it is cheaper than Radio Shack and works better. Price from Shooter64 was $687 to my door. He also is great with answering questions. Bike seems to be running color, that is not based on any measurement other than my thighs at the stop light. Idles much smoother. Can't really say it runs that much better, then again I did not think my 96 ran poorly at all. Any gains in HPI would have to say came from the AC and pipes. Glad I did it and would recommend it to anyone. It is pricey, but then I am getting all the use of the O2 technology. In fact, I plan to get the Zippers speedo that compliment to Tmax.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM
IsurvivedNMU
Cruiser

Sorry about the hijack, but does this use replacement o2 sensors? I have read about open and closed band, or something...

There is really no need to have it tuned, it just uses the O2 sensors to figure it all out?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

Narrow and wide band. Open and closed loop. HD uses narrow band O2 sensors. Tmax comes with wide band sensors. It's a lot to take in at first. Just read the manual, install the device, and ride for a while. When you need to learn more you will.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: IsurvivedNMU

Sorry about the hijack, but does this use replacement o2 sensors? I have read about open and closed band, or something...

There is really no need to have it tuned, it just uses the O2 sensors to figure it all out?
What I understand is the ThunderMax uses wide band O2 sensors (just as Stingray said), and it does tune itself as you ride. It "learns" your bike. When you purchase the ThunderMax, you get access to all the maps on the website. You choose the map that most closely represents the products you have on your bike, such as exhaust and aircleaner. You then download that map to the ThunderMax and that becomes your base map. As you ride, the ThunderMax tunes the base map to get as close to perfect as it can. The closer the base map is to the actual setup you have on your bike, the quicker it will "learn" the bike and the more exact it will be. This is why it doesn't need to be Dyno tuned. It can, however, be Dyno tuned to get it more fine tuned, but it is not necessary as it would be with some other products, such as the SERT.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I have it on my bike (about 1,500 miles now) and it is great!

Took me about an hour to install it and run the wires to the sensors all nice and neat.

I've run the bike in 80 degree heat at sea level and at 50 degree high altitude and it never skips a beat.

They are also adding features so it's an evolving product. I love it.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
ICEMANNN
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mark g

Don't hesitate to contact them with question,They will be glad to talk to you. Zipper's has a excellent rep. here in the northeast.
Oh yeah , as long as you dont have any problem with your thundermax ... I have problem with mine till i have it and they have never find any fix and have stop to answer my email ...

poor customer service

Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry to hear that.

I had a problem with set up, that's why I contacted them. they got back to me right away. They also seemed very concerned that all of my question were awnsered. I even got a e-mail just asking how I made out.

I would try calling Zipper's direct about your problem, I'm sure they will stand behind their product. It also came with a 3 year warrenty,So they have to!

Good luck

Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

The ThunderMax doesn't require a Dyno tune, so even though it's more expensive up front, it could save money in the long run. Not to mention the AutoTune feature sounds awesome. Oh and the fact that it works for the '08s is a big plus too.
Last I heard, it does not work with the '08s.

As for dyno tuning, you no longer need a dyno for the fuel delivery, but for max performance you'd still have to get the timing dyno tuned.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax w/AutoTune