Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail preload rear shock adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Softail preload rear shock adjustment

The END - had the dealer complete the adjustment this morning, preload is now set with approximately 2-1.5 threads still showing after loosening the nut off three whole turns and turning the adjuster plate out. Took about 20 mins total from ride in to ride out.

WOW what a difference that makes. The bike is much more stable (suprisingly much more manoverable at lower speeds i.e. traffic lights) yet it doesn't feel like i'm sitting on a block of wood.I can now tip it into corners much easier and it will now hold a line, it's so fricking brilliant i just can't tell you. Just for the record if anyoineelse needs to make the changeI'm around 110kgs (242lbs).

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM
davered51
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good thread, I'm 205 and bottom out on speed bumps, I'll be making that change....

Old 09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, when I started riding with my wife on my Deluxe (I'm 155, she's 125 total = 280), the bike would bottom out completely on the smallest bump. I did the job myself and it made a huge difference. Like you said, it rides a lot better even when solo. Don't know why HD sets the bike with such a soft preload. Maybe they think everyone weighs 120 and never ride two up.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Dojo
Novice

Thanx for the info Mike, bought the wrench jacked up the bike and had it done in less than 30 minutes. Guess I was lucky didn't have the loktite problem. Rides so so much better, my butt and my girl friend thank you. Also found on ebay and bought a Springer Heritage seat and tall back rest pad for 165.00 I'll give them a try as soon as they get here.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:49 PM
dl03
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

when i put the burnout kit on my 02 i turned the pre-load 2 & 1/2 turns. i weigh 180 a she is about 160. i lowered it about 1 & 1/2" and we never bottom out. iwas going to lowering it another .5" but i don't know if i should mess with it. i rarley scrape the boards and the thought of "if it aint broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 AM
stef
Cruiser

You folks are my heros.

For those who areheavier like me (265 lbs solo) and have not had the pre-load adjusted, look into it ASAP. The difference is like day and night!

My story:Purchased my '07 FXSTC in early May.Have been reading posts here on this subject over the last couple of months.It became apparent that I could probably benefit from suchan adjustment. Although Ibought the spanner wrench a few weeks ago,kept putting it off dueto concernon how togetthe bikehigh enough to get clearance for the wrenches.

While looking at chrome in my dealer's showroomtoday,decided to check withserviceon cost to have them do the adjustment. He estimated $25-30. While giving thought to it,I noticed one of the owners talking to someone on the other side of the showroom. Turns out after approaching and explaining my situation,that the other person washis Service Manager (SM).Without batting an eye, they said to just bring the bike in and it would be done for nothing as it probably should have been brought upon their endwhen I bought the bike.

After retreiving the bike from home, I pulled-up to the open service door. As I began to explain the turn of events to to the original guy ($), the SM heard my voice and came out of the other room and personally wheeled the bike into the shop and put someone on it. A few minutes later the SM told me it was done (3 turns out of the available 4). Said to give it a try and bring back in if I wanted to try a differentadjustment.

Result: The ride home was unbelievable. Normally this highway ispretty rough (road joints).Other than through the handlebars, I did not feel a thing through the back of the bike. As others have stated, there is also a very noticable and favorable differencein slow, tight turns.

Moral of the story: 1) Listen to those who know (that's you guys!), and 2) Don't be afraid to ask higher up if you are not satisfied with the answer you initially receive from the service department.

Later! -stef

Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
dl03
Tourer

glad it worked out for ya Stef.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read all the positive posts about firming up the shock adjustments, so I thought I would give it a try.
I have the SE Fat Boy, which comes stock, lowered in the back, so I don't know if I willgain the same benefits with the adjustment. I spent a lot of time modifying an open end wrench so it would fit and I already had the HD spanner wrench. I triedusing different cheater bars, on the end of the modified wrench, for better leverage, but couldn't break either retainer nut loose. Drove to the dealer this morning, they worked me in and loosened the nuts. I had them set the shocks midway, so I can try that for awhile. Then I will try all the way firm. It took the dealer a while to break the nuts loose. They had to use heat to break the locktite loose. I don't understand why the factory locktites the retainer nuts.
I went to Black Widow HD in Port Charlotte,FL. They didn't charge me, so I will definitely go back there, whenever I need a dealership to work on the bike.
Tom

Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM
dl03
Tourer

thats cool.
i would ofhad the sameproblem u had when adjusting the preload. i put the shocks in a vise and use a wrench and a 2' breaker bar and it came loose.

the burnout kit will still lower ur fatty probly 3/4" to1" and that would be noticeable.

btw sweet ride. i always loved the S/E fattys

Old 10-11-2007, 09:46 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dl03

thats cool.
i would ofhad the sameproblem u had when adjusting the preload. i put the shocks in a vise and use a wrench and a 2' breaker bar and it came loose.

the burnout kit will still lower ur fatty probly 3/4" to1" and that would be noticeable.

btw sweet ride. i always loved the S/E fattys
Thanks for the complement. Your bike looks great lowered. It is hard to tell that mine is loweredin my signature picture.
Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/18321/20F6311165CB468A88CD35E5E84FDC6C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Softail preload rear shock adjustment