Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Fatboy Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Fatboy Saddlebags

Anybody have a link to the ghostbrackets?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
ickeyeddie
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey traffic , i have a question for you . When i bought my detatchable backrest i told them i wanted the docking hardware for down the road when i add the bags also but mine have only 1 bushing on each stud . It's hard to tell from the pic , are they one solid piece or 2 bushings back to back with just a longer bolt thru the strut ? thanks
ORIGINAL: trafficjams

I havesimiliar style HDbags. They too have the 07-08 fatboy styling... BUT... mine are about 1200 cubic inches instead of the 860 cubic inch ones you are getting. You should look into the slightly bigger bags (HD part # 88306-07)

I also have the detachable backrest/luggage rack.

Here are some pics of the HD detachable kit made for both the bags and the backrest...

This first one shows the studs with two sets of black nylon bushings in each stud. The innermost bushing is for the detachable backrest. The outermost bushing is for the bags.

Here are a couple where you can see all three mounting studs... even the lower one...

Also... the rear directional relocation kit is shown in the above photos. As can be seen, Harley has improved the looks by making a nice tapered directional light mount instead of just a stud.

I love the detachable bags/kit. It's so easy for both the backrest and bags. I'm glad I got them.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to go.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 AM
mikef
Cruiser

Wow lots of choices out there.....

I guess it is between these.

Ghostbrackets
EZ Brackets
Bubbas Brakes

What about these Barebacks.... Are they any Good?

http://www.cyclevisions.com/bag-moun...rebacks-cv139/

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 AM
SlowPlay
Cruiser

thanks Waltman. i did forget to mention i was looking for a rigid mount. also,the steel bracket on the backside answers my questions. now,saving up to purchase,different story. never mind the python and the AR,watch out for the 629 and the 870.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

I use the Bare backs and I love them. The only problem is that you need to order the chrome caps seperately.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 AM
1Coastie
Road Master

I also use barebacks, and find they work well. You probably already know this but if you go to an aftermarket non-shotgun style exhaust you will have alot more choices in saddle bags, and sizes of saddle bags.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ickeyeddie

Hey traffic , i have a question for you . When i bought my detatchable backrest i told them i wanted the docking hardware for down the road when i add the bags also but mine have only 1 bushing on each stud . It's hard to tell from the pic , are they one solid piece or 2 bushings back to back with just a longer bolt thru the strut ? thanks
ORIGINAL: trafficjams

I havesimiliar style HDbags. They too have the 07-08 fatboy styling... BUT... mine are about 1200 cubic inches instead of the 860 cubic inch ones you are getting. You should look into the slightly bigger bags (HD part # 88306-07)

I also have the detachable backrest/luggage rack.

Here are some pics of the HD detachable kit made for both the bags and the backrest...

This first one shows the studs with two sets of black nylon bushings in each stud. The innermost bushing is for the detachable backrest. The outermost bushing is for the bags.

Here are a couple where you can see all three mounting studs... even the lower one...

Also... the rear directional relocation kit is shown in the above photos. As can be seen, Harley has improved the looks by making a nice tapered directional light mount instead of just a stud.

I love the detachable bags/kit. It's so easy for both the backrest and bags. I'm glad I got them.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to go.
yes... they are actually the two mounting kits piggybacked.

hd does make some chrome covers for detachable mounts. they slipare magnetic and hold pretty good, but unfortunately, they do not make them to cover the depth of the piggybacked detachable mounts for both backrest and bags. the appearance of the exposed studs does not really bother me that much. but i am still trying to find a "finished" solution when the bags are off.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Will the Barebacks work with the detachable seat from HD? It mounts like the one in the pic above. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Yes the barebacks will work, I have the detachable sissy bar on my bike. Be awear they sell two different types, one for detachable sissy bar and one without. Make sure you get the correct kit, or the bolts will be too short. Very easy to install, took me 30 minutes holding a beer in one hand.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Great.... Thank you for all of the info. I think I am going with the Barebacks. I like that they offer the Chrome Caps for when the bags are off.