Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CrossBones Bars dont bite

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CrossBones Bars dont bite

This would just scare the crap out of me.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
White Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: CrossBones Bars dont bite

No probs with mine at 2K so far...

Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Frankku
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday this same thing happened to me when braking hard. The bars move back and forth, 500 miles in the meter now..
I became a bit worried that will they come off the bike totally when i brake the next time.. So i started to google if someone else had the same problem and found this forum. Somewhat relieved to see that i'm not the only one, and that the bars should not come off even if they move a bit.
500 miles to first service.. should i try to tighten the bars myself or just wait for the service? How tight should they be?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The knurled area of painted or powder coated handlebars and risers should be masked where they contact each other. Some handlebars do not have knurled areas so masking them exactly where the risers will go would be very difficult. However, the risers should always be masked.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
jschroed
Stage I

Happened to me today. Though I found mine just by sitting on the bike and pushing forward on my bars at a light. Then noticed the damn things went forward a bit then back.

HMMMM............ So has anyone had a actual solution????

Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Whoad00d
Tourer

well this just happened to me as well and my father told me about the soda can trick cut two strips for the risers area so im goign to try that out.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Happened to me on the way to the H-D Dealer, I hit a rough RR track and they dropped about 6". Scared the sh*t out of me. Dealer fixed them and DID NOT even charge me for it, amazing. Said it wasn't tight from the factory, yaa I feel safe. Had 2500 miles on it at the time. Hasn't been a problem since.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote
Happened to me on the way to the H-D Dealer, I hit a rough RR track and they dropped about 6". Scared the sh*t out of me. Dealer fixed them and DID NOT even charge me for it, amazing. Said it wasn't tight from the factory, yaa I feel safe. Had 2500 miles on it at the time. Hasn't been a problem since.
When a new bike is shipped from the factory the handlebars are loosened up and angled down to the tank to make the bike as compacts as possible and prevent damage. The dealer then has to adjust the bars and tighten them as part of the "prep" they charge so much for. Tell your dealer to stop passing the buck.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by powdercoater
When a new bike is shipped from the factory the handlebars are loosened up and angled down to the tank to make the bike as compacts as possible and prevent damage. The dealer then has to adjust the bars and tighten them as part of the "prep" they charge so much for. Tell your dealer to stop passing the buck.
I'll do a little more than tell them, thanks for the info. I'm going there next week.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

very true there techs do the setup on the bars. I would use 2 beer can strips as a shim should work real good. Also i just put the solid dampers on mine and they feel great. I got 18 iches of apes and no flex at all use beer cans worked on my ironheads exhaust port real good

Quick Reply: CrossBones Bars dont bite