Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy Ultima
yes
37.50%
no
62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Open Primary Help For 01 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 AM
crissguinn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Primary Help For 01 Fatboy

Ok i need some expert help here. I want to install an open primary mainly for looks. I don't care if they're dangerous or whatever, but I need help with finding what fits out of the box. I see alot of softail 90-99 then some that say Big Twin's but I want to make sure I have everything I need when I break down my ride. I'm also wanting to get a good deal. I'm not really wanting to spend $2k on one just for looks. I've been looking at the Primo Brutes. I have a TC88 2001 Fatboy.
Thank you....

Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

check out ebay. you should be able to find one for under $800.00, and you could sell your old stuff for damn near that amount. i would go with a outside cover though, i know its saved my bdl belt setup at least once. they look cool but i think once you have one you find out how cheap they are compared to the original factory chain setup.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the BDL

super easy to install, ran mine about 15K miles so far

i paid about $850 a little over a year ago

i installed one on Hammer's springer too and he loves it

Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
crissguinn
Intermediate

Ok. Thanks for all the help. I've heard a lot of good about BDL. So what's the difference in a 90-99 and 2000up. Some say up to 99 and some say 90- 2008. It's confusing me. I just don't want to tear down and be without something or have the wrong part. Which BDL did you use? I didn't think about selling my old stuff.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
crissguinn
Intermediate

I've also saw this one but kinda nervous about it for some reason. Anyone have any input on it???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the benefits in an open belt primary besides looking bad a$$?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:46 AM
FACTION95
Road Master

I love the video of the chicks installing the belt drive

Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Toneaero
What are the benefits in an open belt primary besides looking bad a$$?
Aside from the fact that they are virtually maintenance free (no primary oil or chain tensioner to take care of) I don't think there is another seriously good reason for one (on a street bike) other than looks. The clutch dust (dry clutch) can be a pain the butt to keep clean. Depending on who made it, soft clutch plate material can be even worse than stock brake pads to keep cleaned up. But they do look nice.

Personally I would go with a style that has a full length outer plate of some kind, like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360113724971&ssPageNam e=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=36011 3724925&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item& usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_p romot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR %26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI %26otn%3D4

If for no other reason than it will act as a kind of 'chain guard' for your pants leg. The extra outer plate will also "box" in the structure to keep the crankshaft and tranny input parallel. This isn't quite as important with Twin Cam bikes as it would be with EVO and older designs, because the tranny is bolted directly to the engine case instead of the inner primary.

But if you like to play in the stop light to stop light wars occasionally even a mildly modified engine can generate enough power to "torque" the shafts out of parallel a little, and that can make the belt walk 'uphill' to the inside where it can rub on things like the starter ring gear.

An outer plate can reduce or prevent that from happening, not to mention save on left leg tailor bills.

PS I noticed that the evil-bay place you (and I) have links to is called Demons Cycle. You might want to try a little search here on that name before you think about buying anything from them. They have had a, shall we say, something less than stellar reputation with more than a few people around here.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i will tell you the one downside to bdl is there starter jackshaft, on a lot of bikes it will grind instead of engage. i solved this problem by buying a bulletproof jackshaft, thats what there called, and it hasnt missed a beat yet. in fact there jackshaft starter problem is so big that there are a couple of places that make a after market jackshaft to fix the problem. other than that, and i guess there are a lot of bikes it doesnt do it on, it a good setup.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:04 PM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Open Primary Help For 01 Fatboy