Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock preload adjust -- What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock preload adjust -- What am I doing wrong?

This is on an '09 Deluxe. I have the HD shock spanner, read the owner's manual and service manual. Both say to loosen the jam nut, and then rotate the adjuster plates -- toward the jam nut to increase preload, away to decrease.

I turned them for at least 20 full rotations without coming to an end, and then realized not only was the entire shock body turning, but the shaft was, too. The shaft should remain stationary, right? Otherwise, how am I going to see a change in the number of threads showing? Am I supposed to grab the shaft (or the shock body) somewhere while I'm turning the adjuster plates?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I adjust mine quite a bit and haven't had that problem. Your Deluxe has the low profile shocks that lowers the rear about an inch. I have the same shocks on my SE Fat Boy, since it came lowered in the rear also.
I loosen the retention nut and spin it back out of the way. Then use the spanner wrench to turn the shock body until it is set where I want it. Could it be that you are at the end of the travel for the shock body and by continuing to turn it the shaft turns also?
Did you try turning either shock the other direction? They come from HD at the fully soft setting, with approximately 4 threads showing.
I turned both shocks all the way, in the same direction, to get a starting point. Then I used a brush to paint a white stripe, on the bottom of each shock, running forward to aft. This makes it easier to count how many turns so you can keep the shocks equally set. Whenever I turn the shocks all the way to soft or firm, I turn the shocks back just a little, so they are not wedged in either direction. This way they are not stuck in place next time you adjust them. I also just barely snug the retention nuts, They have never came loose between adjustments.
Tom

Old 02-03-2009, 03:10 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure you loosen the right bolt? Sounds like you may have loosen the bolt that mounts the shock to the swing arm. See if this link helps. Else, back to the dealer you go.

http://www.fatbillscustoms.com/

Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like mine might be stuck in the full soft position -- definitely have about four threads showing. Thanks for that link, too.

Now that I know I'm not crazy, I'll go back and try "unsticking " them.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem and come to find out they locktite the stud into the plate. To remedy the problem I used a pencil torch on the plate. It took quite awhile to soften the loctite but it solved the frustrating problem.

Mine are really easy to adjust now.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

run the lock nut ALL THE WAY FORWARD and it will lock the shaft. Now adjust the shocks with the spanner wrench..

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 AM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Originally Posted by keno
run the lock nut ALL THE WAY FORWARD and it will lock the shaft. Now adjust the shocks with the spanner wrench..
Brilliant! Thanks, that should do it.

I like the torch idea, too, but the closest thing I have is a BIC lighter -- probably not going to cut it