Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce steering problem, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM
texascoon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deuce steering problem, HELP!

04 Deuce, no mods. Steering sucks. Always wants to pull to one side or the other. When at low speed, the pull is terrible and like I said, it isn't side specific. I have checked air pressure, and steering head nut torque (thanks Crapshooter). I have tightened the head nut up a bit, but it really just hides the fact. I have no idea what to look at next. I have been on lots of other bikes and it makes me sick that the Deuce is so bad when it comes to steering it. Even when making long gradual turns at higher speeds, you can feel the pull a bit.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which wheels? (Lace or tubeless). Is the front tire Harley-stock for your bike?

Bike never wrecked? (meaning the frame isn't off any).

Are your symptoms worse on decel? (repeatable pull (either side) at the same RPM).

Has anyone checked your primary chain (too loose). Torque transfer issues usually manifest as a wobble rather than a pull (so this probably isn't it).

I'm not going to try and spend your money at a shop somewhere, but this would drive me crazy too. I would double-triple check a good spin balance on the front wheel, and have the front axle (and wheel bearings) looked over.

What you are experiencing is not normal, and therefor the problem does have a root-cause for your symptoms. Improper tire wear, tire mounted wrong, out of balance, etc.

Please keep us informed, there are lots of talented folks on this forum that will weigh-in with their opinions.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
texascoon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Which wheels? (Lace or tubeless). Is the front tire Harley-stock for your bike?
Stock rim and wheel, tube 40 spoke

Bike never wrecked? (meaning the frame isn't off any).
Unknown, but does not show any signs of a wreck

Are your symptoms worse on decel? (repeatable pull (either side) at the same RPM).
It's most noticeable when you are getting ready for a ride and I am maneuvering the bike around to take off or when entering a shop or the garage and I am at slow speeds

Has anyone checked your primary chain (too loose). Torque transfer issues usually manifest as a wobble rather than a pull (so this probably isn't it).
Re-tensioned it recently!

I'm not going to try and spend your money at a shop somewhere, but this would drive me crazy too. I would double-triple check a good spin balance on the front wheel, and have the front axle (and wheel bearings) looked over.
It's an old rim and not in the best of shape so I am going to replace it just because!

What you are experiencing is not normal, and therefor the problem does have a root-cause for your symptoms. Improper tire wear, tire mounted wrong, out of balance, etc.

Please keep us informed, there are lots of talented folks on this forum that will weigh-in with their opinions.
Poorboy, Thanks for asking the little things I forgot!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your pinch bolts in the lower tree are loose.
Ron

Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

All good procedures listed above. Another to add to the list-

With an '04 and some miles over its life, the head bearings could be shot, especially if you or PO had not regularly lubbed the nipple on the head.

Raise you bike on a motorcycle lift, parallel with the ground. Have nothing touching the front wheel. Position the front wheel center, then left and then right. The wheel should move freely with no rough spots or dips. Each time determine if there is a tendency for the wheel to fall to another posotion. If there is, you should check your head bearings for wear. If not, then move on to another possible cause for your problem.

Good luck.