Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on fork disassembly/assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Questions on fork disassembly/assembly

Hi all. I've got the fork lowers off my 08 Night Train. Im confused as to what seal everyone has used the pvc trick to install. I have a pic below of what I have left on the forks with the lowers removed. All of the parts left on the tubes can be slid right off the top of the forks and replaced if need be... Should I even replace the seal if it looks perfectly fine? Bike only has 500 miles.

Im also replacing the dampners with Arlen Ness units. The forks are out of the bike now with the slider tube caps removed. Next step is to remove the tube plug to get the springs out. Will there be alot of spring pressure behind the tube plug?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The seals are the ones on the tubes in the picture you have. Might as well replace them since it is apart. Yes there will be some pressure behind those springs. I cant remember exactly how i did it its been so long but ill get home and take a look. If you have a service manual follow that.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeff... you watn to drop it all in from the top with the spring... there will be pressure so be ready when your are taking the top nut off... i keep my hand over the top to keep them from shooting off... YES replace your seals... the damper kit and that should just all be drop in... for your seals you want to put a bit of fork fluid around the seal... then use PVC (size of the tube) and use it as a slide hammer and pop it a few times till it seats... done... fill those suckers up with some heavy weight fork oil and your golden... amost cool enough to ride with us again this summer, ha ha ha ha hit me up later brother!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok. I understand what has to be done with the seals now. Thanks guys!

I know there is some pressure but just how much Im unsure of. I have the service manual and it just says to remove the tube plug so I imagine there isn't an extreme amount of pressure or else they would have a disclaimer. Right?

Only a few more mods and Ill be cool enough to ride with Joey and the gang. Sweet! Joe, give me a call when you get home so I can drop off the parts. With any luck I can start putting bike together tomorrow night.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
JRK5892
Banned

cool ill hollar at you

Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
JRK5892
Banned

sad... all these slop tails on here an dyna guys have to help you on this one... guess we know who turns their wrenches and who signs check books...

10.5 oz of fluid .. after you put in the fluid let it sit for a bit so that all the air comes out...

Old 02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
sad... all these slop tails on here an dyna guys have to help you on this one... guess we know who turns their wrenches and who signs check books...

10.5 oz of fluid .. after you put in the fluid let it sit for a bit so that all the air comes out...
Actually you dont have to worry about the air it will come out. ANd sorry if some people have more important things to do then be on the internet. By the way I do all my own work.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
JRK5892
Banned

you do... if he was just draing and doing a drop in kit he would not... since he took his lowers completely off he does... or else your wet and dry measurements will be off you have to let it settle and the air to burp to ensure you are the propper fluid levels man...
least i do... on all the bikes that go though my shop.
I run an advising dept for an online univ in the day and small bike shop at night... so i have the luxury of having the site up all day to help people out. Jeff got the stuff man... sorry yesterday i was training... big fight next month... got to be ready! you going to come by and hang out this weekend?
ha ha ha ha Chrome you where the first to respond... so this was obviously not at you.
just a bit of ball busting man, thats how i roll

Last edited by JRK5892; 02-12-2009 at 03:28 PM.