Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboard skids for Softails (and other models)...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM
coop57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been gone on a business trip glad to see you are considering my suggestion!

As stated earlier a screw with a capped nut is what I had in mind, make the nut out of titanium and SPARKS!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Kski
Tourer

I think the actual burning of the magnesium would happen if it was really lit on fire. The risk would come from, say, some oil on the ground or something like that. If you got any grime like that on the magnesium or the board, then you sparked up the strip you could light the grime on fire then the strip itself would have enough starting "fuel" to actually light off. Like I said before it would be quite a show to watch that thing just burn away as long as you didn't light yourself on fire, or melt your boards.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay... remember puttin taps on the heals of your shoe in school?

A small, thin, "C" shaped "skid plate" that could be bolted on underneath (unobtrusively) to protect the board without making it look bad. You could build an under cover for the board with the replaceable skid plate integerally mounted.

Another idea is to build a swing out footrest for the board with a replaceable skid plate at the end, or whole part as necessary, that grinds down. Folds out for crusin; folds in on the twisties and protects your boards.

Polished, chrome, and black powder coat are your obvious choices.

I get a free set to try out for the winning idea, right? 8^)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
coop57
Tourer

Originally Posted by Yosemite
Okay... remember puttin taps on the heals of your shoe in school?

A small, thin, "C" shaped "skid plate" that could be bolted on underneath (unobtrusively) to protect the board without making it look bad. You could build an under cover for the board with the replaceable skid plate integerally mounted.

Another idea is to build a swing out footrest for the board with a replaceable skid plate at the end, or whole part as necessary, that grinds down. Folds out for crusin; folds in on the twisties and protects your boards.

Polished, chrome, and black powder coat are your obvious choices.

I get a free set to try out for the winning idea, right? 8^)
Folding pegs not new!

If anyone should get a free set of spark maker skids I am it!
I suggested it in the original thread

Cheers,
Coop

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Duh...

Never said the idea was "new"... However, I'm pretty certain none of the current offerings are (a) designed to be purposely drug, and (b) have a replaceable skid plate built in.

Anyway, lets hope the guy is successful enough with the products so that we can argue over who gets the free set. ;^)

Old 05-15-2009, 08:42 AM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spike95
I have no problem with the boards scraping but it would be nice to have a cheap replaceable piece to wear out before it chews up the boards. I have been considering rigging up something like this for years... maybe out of magnesium like a low rider. Just need to get a new set of boards to work with. I personally wouldn't mind if I had a little less board/ground clearence because I would get more warning from the boards before I lean far enough to start dragging the primary or my exhaust.
How about about something that's adjustable up and down. I would like to be able to set it my boards to scrap before my pipes do.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Adjustability on an item like this is going to be difficult, especially considering that everyone has different setups with height of bike, types of exhaust etc., but have our thinking caps on trying to figure it out. Those fold out pegs are FBI jackknifes. Oh, and "this guy" is someone you all know and trust. I am working for Tom, but I must leave it at that for confidentiality reasons.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
spike95
Road Master

BMR, I think that just by virtue of there being something hanging off the bottom of your boards they will surely scrape first. Don't think you'd need too much adjustability to achieve the desired result.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coop57
If anyone should get a free set of spark maker skids I am it!
I suggested it in the original thread

Cheers,
Coop
Earlier than my suggestions?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4926522-post9.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4931586-post26.html

Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Kski
Like the others I'm gonna say sparks would be great. I thought about magnesium but I read that's impossible to stop burning once it gets going.

I'd say it should go under the board that way there's nothing that looks funky on it at first glance. Selling a whole new board with skids on might be a turn off because wouldn't that end up costing more? Plus the installation time and effort would be greater.
100% right, just do a search on Magnesium fire, Anderson In
we could see the fire 30 miles away, looked like a atomic bomb went off in the night sky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Floorboard skids for Softails (and other models)...