Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brakes on exile bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
spiketonan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes on exile bikes

Does anybody know how the heck The exile bikes actuate their front brakes? Love the clean sweet setup off his handlebars but he hasn't answered my email, anybody

Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brakes are both linked to the foot pedal. So instead of just actuating the rear brake with your foot, you're actuating both at the same time. Looks cool, but I would think you have less control over your braking.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:40 AM
gambueller1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spiketonan,

if you do a search on proportioning valve/limiting valve you should find a thread I started a few days ago about this same thing.

I sent exile an e-mail and the response I recieved from a dude named Paul was, "all we do is run both brakes off the foot pedal, 50/50 split." I would imagine that they run the lines to a T valve and that is it. I have been thinking of doing this mod but with a hand control lever instead... however it has been highly suggested to consider not doing it by some. Apparently there are many things to take into consideration when doing such a set up..... Like Brake Master cylinder bore size, proportiong valve vs. no vlave and just straight T in the lines, using brakes with more pistons in the rear vs. the front.. just a few things I have come across. The biggest being control of the bike when braking for obvious reasons, however, it also seems as though if done it would be better done on a bike that has been stripped down and possibly even a bigger front tire for better stabilization.

I was looking at doing that type of set up with a proportioning valve thus managing the pressure to both brakes at different percentages. After some thought I still believe it would be a super cool mod however I believe to do it as "safely" (if that is even possible) as you could it would take some time to dail in and get set up properly.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 AM
moosh
Road Captain

also I would think with exile setup if you run out of fluid you have no brakes completely unless they run a split master cylinder as on cages

Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 AM
spiketonan
Stage II

Thanx guys, I did find out in an article that said they simply use a Goodridge double banjo bolt AND NO proportioning valve! Also found a company with proportiong valve that can be set up from 50/50 to 70/30, Wilwood. Definitely a safety issue with me also, but the bike I'm building isn't going to be be hitting the twisties. Need to find out a little more.