Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Deuce - Loose Rear Turn Signal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM
colo1032
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Deuce - Loose Rear Turn Signal Assembly

Please be gentle. I am not a wrench, but don't mind trying if I have directions. I am sure this is an easy problem to fix (for you, not neccessarily me). Just discovered the right rear turn signal on my 05 Deuce is loose and on the verge of falling off the rear fender strut. How do I fix this, reattach and tighten to the strut? Thanks for any help.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, this is an easy fix for you. Based on your description you obviously have a loose bolt someplace. It sounds like it is the bolt that connects the turn signal bullet to the support and fender strut cover (see diagram P. 146, #2).

Note: Getting access to the strut mounting nuts inside the fender can be a PITA without either removing the rear wheel or lifting the bike to gain some clearance between the tire and fender. It can be done that way; with the tire on the bike. It just takes more time and cuss words.

In the P.116 image I have circled the key bolts and nuts you are concerned with. Remove the two #5, #3 nuts and washers from inside the fender. Then remove the two #2, #4 torx bolts and washers just below the seat. You should now be able to pull the fender strut cover and turn signal assembly away from the fender.

The turn signal wiring will not allow you to pull away too far. If you need more room, there is a metal tab that keeps the wiring in place under the fender. Follow the wiring with your finger to find it. You can bend it out a little and get a little slack in the wiring. If you still need more you can pop out the brake light and disconnect the turn signal terminal connector. Then you can pull the whole turn signal and fender strut free from the bike.

Once you have access to the turn signal assembly from the inside you will be able to tighten the #2 bolt identified in the red box in the P.146 image. Reassemble everything in the opposite order and you are done.

I recommend applying some blue locktite to all threads before reattaching. That should help prevent reoccurrence of this problem.

And that’s it. Hardest part, as you will find, it getting a wrench or ratchet up in the fender to get the nuts off. It can be done but it takes patience and time.

Attached Thumbnails 05 Deuce - Loose Rear Turn Signal Assembly-p116.jpg   05 Deuce - Loose Rear Turn Signal Assembly-p146.jpg  

Last edited by bensonjv; 06-07-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
colo1032
Intermediate

Fantastic response. Thanks so much. If you could bear with me just a little bit - 1)what sizes are the bolts that need to be removed, 2)what is the best tool to get to the bolts, especially under the fender, and finally C) when i jack up the Deuce, how far should the wheel drop? thanks for your paitence and experience.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

I won't bet a paycheck on the bolt and nut sizes. I'm going from memory. I'll see if I can't check here in a bit and confirm. In the mean time...

From memory I think the fender strut nuts are 1/2 or 9/16. A ratchet will get you the fastest removal and best torque but if you can't fit a ratchet up there go for a combination wrench. The angled box end will likely be best. You might find you'll only get a fraction of a turn before you have to reposition the wrench on the nut. Patience is key here.

The bolt for the turn signal bullet is 1/4 hex. Finally, the strut bolts below the seat (two each side) are T47 Torx.

Lift the rear end until the tire just comes off the ground. The suspension will decompress to its farthest point. I suspect you get about 2" of extra space. However, a little goes a long way. That 2" will help a lot.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

All righty. I went down and checked. 9/16 for the fender nuts. T47 for the strut bolts. I can't say for sure without taking it apart myself but the turn signal bolt you need to tighten is either 1/2 or 9/16. Picture is attached of what you should see once you get the strut assembly free from the fender. This is what you need to tighten.

Has your bike been lowered? Do you have the HD rigid leather saddlebags? Both will significantly inhibit your ability to get the struts removed. If you have neither, you are in good shape.

Attached Thumbnails 05 Deuce - Loose Rear Turn Signal Assembly-tail-light-bolt.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 PM
colo1032
Intermediate

Bensonjv, don't take this wrong, but you are my hero! I really appreciate your information AND the efforts you took to help this poor soul out. Everything was right on and once I figured out how to get my socket and ratchet oriented it was easy. Fixed the problem and am ready for next weekends poker run.

Thanks again for everthing. It is nice to deal with someone who has great character such as yourself. If you ever find yourself out in Colorado, please, let me buy you a beer.

Last edited by colo1032; 06-08-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll look you up next time I am out that way and take you up on the beer.

Glad I could help.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Phil Marchisotta
Stage IV
Default Helpful

Thank you for this post. I am trying to install side plates for a new sissy bar and it is indeed a PITA, as mentioned. This post helped simplify it for me and actually give me some hope lol