Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts
Default HID headlights anyone?

Someone I rode with today had one of these and i really liked. it. Has anyone done this mod? I am curious as to how simple the install is and which kind of kit you have. Do you have the BI Xenon kit with 2 bulbs, or the single light kit? Links to the product you have would be nice too. This HID stuff is like reading a foreign language to me at this point. TIA.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw the stand for this product in Myrtle Beach at suck Bang Blow and it was awesome I just did not wanna spend the time and drop that bread. It lit the whole place up in the middle of the day. The kit the guy had was two bulbs. One HID and one regular bulb. It was bad *** and to me worth the money down the road. Sorry I can not help you anymore than that. I remember the guy saying that once the bulb warms up once you can switch it back and forth without having to warm up. It was unreal. The guy was willing to install it for $150 right there.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny this came up because even though i have a new bike the headlight is not bright enough or the right color in my opinion. I have found a lot of bulbs and whatnot online but not full kits themselves. I know Harley makes one, my Dad put their HID kit on his Road King. I would like to go Xenon, any help would really be appreciated as well if I can tag along on this thread. I want a real crisp white color/Kelvin temperature with a slight blue tint. Basically what my BMW headlights look like. Good thread, thanks guys.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been used by forum members before check it out

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some experience with HIDs. I installed a set for my truck and it made a heck of a difference. If you want crisp white lights, then you want something in the 6500k to 7000k temperature range. Anything higher would be alittle blue-ish and anything less would have a slight yellow to it. I haven't installed them on my bike yet is because I have no room to hide ballasts (used to ignite the bulbs) and that I don't think its good for the ballasts nor your electrical system for a motorcycle. What I mean by that is because our headlights turn "on" when you turn the key. You notice how your headlights dim when you start it? Well....that's not good for the ballasts or the bulbs. Unless you can rig a switch to turn off your headlights before starting the bike.....hmm....

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 AM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master

I had one on my Fatboy for over 2 years with no problems at all. I was able to hide the ballast inside the upper front tins on the fatboy. When I did this, The kits were still expensive, so I used an extra kit that I had from a car, and I wired it up using some male terminals so that I could simply plug it into the OE plug without having to cut anything. Incase of an emergency and the HID blows out, all I had to do was unplug the HID wires and buy a bulb at any gas station to get home safely. I know there are a few company's out there today that have what they call credit card type ballast because they are really thin compared to the earlier models available. and much cheaper.
Oh yea, I had no Hi beam with my setup. but I didnt need it =)

Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

this is a great thread. i don't know the first thing about these HIDs but i sure would love to have one of them on my ride. anyone got any more info?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default HD Research

A few previous threads
here
here
here
here
& there is a forum discount as well if you call

Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Puzzled
Banned

I run HID's in three of my four bikes as well as my truck also. It is money well spent IMO. I run Bi-Xenon where a hi-low is standard. All of my lights are 6000K which is bright white/ice white. The first few sets I purchased are all the standard sized ballasts. My latest kit has the slim ballasts.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Puzzled
Banned

Halogen VS. HID in my Buell 1125R

Quick Reply: HID headlights anyone?