Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stalling Issue

Been having some intermittent stalling issues with my 08 Heritage. Can be running perfect and then all of a sudden start idling rough and stalling at stops.

Decided to check the OBD and see if any codes were present. Found one, P0131 (Front O2sensor low). Since this is the first time I've ever checked the codes there's no way of knowing how long it's been stored.

I'll run the bike for a while and see if the code returns. Don't know if I've found the problem or not but I have found from working on my cages that stalling and rough running is consistent with 02 sensor problems.

I thought maybe the front nightrider IED had gone bad but I think the intermittent nature of the stalling points more to the sensor.

I found this interesting article on the apparent hi failure rate of HD's 02 sensors:
http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/c...davidson-bikes

Thought maybe this could help someone down the road in the troubleshooting.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem a while back.Turns out I had put too much oil in last time I changed it...got some oil in the IAC ...cleaned everything up and removed the excess oil...runs great now...:>)

Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ko4qc
I had a similar problem a while back.Turns out I had put too much oil in last time I changed it...got some oil in the IAC ...cleaned everything up and removed the excess oil...runs great now...:>)
Was it an intermittent stalling problem?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Romey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem happening with my 08 Deluxe. Bike is stock except for the addition of Screamin Eagle slipons and has 5000 miles on it. It has stalled about 12 times over the course of a year and a half. The dealer checked for air leakage. None found, and also they hooked it up to digital tech. and found no problems. During these episodes I have never had any codes stored. The last stall issue happened the other day while on a ride. Ran it up to 85 or 90 mph fairly quickly then eased it back to 55 for about a mile. While coming to a stop to make a left turn I pulled in the clutch and bike died. Push button and it starts back up. It never happened the rest of the day. I tried several times during the day to try and make it stall and I didn't have any success.
There has been one occasion where the bike was idling very low and would stall every time I stopped at intersections. I rode about 30 miles and stopped to take some pictures. When I started it back up it idled very high and wouldn't idle back down.
Please post up or send me a PM if you find what is causing this. It makes me wonder everytime I stop if it is going to stall. On a couple of occasions I was gearing down and the back tire started sliding. Could have been really bad if there had been gravel on the road.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Romey
I have the same problem happening with my 08 Deluxe. Bike is stock except for the addition of Screamin Eagle slipons and has 5000 miles on it. It has stalled about 12 times over the course of a year and a half. The dealer checked for air leakage. None found, and also they hooked it up to digital tech. and found no problems. During these episodes I have never had any codes stored. The last stall issue happened the other day while on a ride. Ran it up to 85 or 90 mph fairly quickly then eased it back to 55 for about a mile. While coming to a stop to make a left turn I pulled in the clutch and bike died. Push button and it starts back up. It never happened the rest of the day. I tried several times during the day to try and make it stall and I didn't have any success.
There has been one occasion where the bike was idling very low and would stall every time I stopped at intersections. I rode about 30 miles and stopped to take some pictures. When I started it back up it idled very high and wouldn't idle back down.
Please post up or send me a PM if you find what is causing this. It makes me wonder everytime I stop if it is going to stall. On a couple of occasions I was gearing down and the back tire started sliding. Could have been really bad if there had been gravel on the road.
Interesting. Sounds exactly like mine. Haven't had a repeat of the stalling in awhile. Since you're having the issue with a basically stock bike, kind of points away from my slipons or IEDs being an issue. The intermittent nature of the problem still points to a wacky sensor imo, most likely the 02 sensor. I'll let you know if I find out for sure.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Romey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jimmers. I had XIEDS on my bike and have experienced stalling with them on, and with them off the bike. The last stall that happened the other day was with them off the bike. I do get the P0131 and P0151 codes with the XIEDS installed. This occurs only on startup. Let bike warm up clear codes and restart no codes. I feel we can mark IEDS and XIEDS off the list as to the cause of the stalling.