Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 inch 96 hp

Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 inch 96 hp

I was on a bike night last Friday,and I saw a stock 07 96ci softail with heads and cams making 96 hp on a dyno,I though that was pretty good.....I ask the dude if hi have any problem running that much power on a stock bottom end motor he said 10k miles so far and runs fine......

Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock bottom end is up in the air....there's no guarantee if it will go out or not. I'm making 107/107 with my motor, and I haven't had any problems with the crank. On the other hand, I know of 2 guys who slipped/twisted cranks (both in Ultras). One had a 103" that made 80/98! The other had a very mild 107" that made like 95/105.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Sash302
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beaureed445
The stock bottom end is up in the air....there's no guarantee if it will go out or not. I'm making 107/107 with my motor, and I haven't had any problems with the crank. On the other hand, I know of 2 guys who slipped/twisted cranks (both in Ultras). One had a 103" that made 80/98! The other had a very mild 107" that made like 95/105.
you still running stock crank?
by the way why in the f&%$ harley made such a shirty cranks for this bikes.....??????
and who makes good solid forget cranks,for a replacement?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member

I am running the stock crank (for now). I'm turning my 103" into a 113" in October. I have another stock crank at Darkhorse right now, getting "bullet-proofed." New rods, trued, balanced, welded, etc. They work wonders with stock cranks, for about $1100. If you want after-market, R&R Cycles just released their new 5 piece crank, but they don't make a "B" model, so you have to run it without the counter-balancers.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Sash302
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beaureed445
I am running the stock crank (for now). I'm turning my 103" into a 113" in October. I have another stock crank at Darkhorse right now, getting "bullet-proofed." New rods, trued, balanced, welded, etc. They work wonders with stock cranks, for about $1100. If you want after-market, R&R Cycles just released their new 5 piece crank, but they don't make a "B" model, so you have to run it without the counter-balancers.
how many miles you have with your set up now running over 100hp? and you ride rough or you baby the bike because of the crank?any problems so far?
I heard harley improve something after 07 models for that crank?????

Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a stock 07 96ci softail with heads and cams making 96 hp on a dyno
If it had heads, aftermarket cams, pipes and a Hi-Po Airfilter what was so stock about it Sasha!!

Maybe what you meant to say was I saw a stage 3 Harley dynoing at 96HP with a stock crank and no big bore kit?

If you wanna make big HP and have uber longterm crankshaft reliabilty? Get yours welded, trued and balanced during your build like Beau!

My bike does 93/108 headwork, cams, all the usual suspects. I'm on a stock crank and will be checking my runout numbers this winter as I may go to a gear drive Andrews or woods setup.

So long as I do not have any severe runout issues in my Lil' 95" I'm just sticking with the stock crank and staying a 95"...If I have runout issues I may look into a welded, trued, balanced stroker crank making mine a 103".

I hope that isnt the case as I actually like the shorter 4" stroke and if anything would rather do an all bore over square build down the road and keep the shorter crank stroke....

Just dont get all crazy with some fire breathing 117" Sasha...Build yourself up a 90-100HP 103" with headwork, cams etc...and dont worry about the stock crank. You would get gray hair just thinking about it all the time!!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
If it had heads, aftermarket cams, pipes and a Hi-Po Airfilter what was so stock about it Sasha!!

Maybe what you meant to say was I saw a stage 3 Harley dynoing at 96HP with a stock crank and no big bore kit?

If you wanna make big HP and have uber longterm crankshaft reliabilty? Get yours welded, trued and balanced during your build like Beau!

My bike does 93/108 headwork, cams, all the usual suspects. I'm on a stock crank and will be checking my runout numbers this winter as I may go to a gear drive Andrews or woods setup.

So long as I do not have any severe runout issues in my Lil' 95" I'm just sticking with the stock crank and staying a 95"...If I have runout issues I may look into a welded, trued, balanced stroker crank making mine a 103".

I hope that isnt the case as I actually like the shorter 4" stroke and if anything would rather do an all bore over square build down the road and keep the shorter crank stroke....

Just dont get all crazy with some fire breathing 117" Sasha...Build yourself up a 90-100HP 103" with headwork, cams etc...and dont worry about the stock crank. You would get gray hair just thinking about it all the time!!
I meant stock internals on the bottom end,that is because I heard that the stock bottom end don't hold high HP......you know what i mean....??

Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sash302
I meant stock internals on the bottom end,that is because I heard that the stock bottom end don't hold high HP......you know what i mean....??
If ya' took 100 guys with 95" and 103" builds making in the 100HP range with heads cams etc..etc.. I betcha no more than 10% or 1 outta 10 have other than bone stock cranks Sasha.

Get your heads done. Find some compression. Add the appropriate cams for your riding style and dont worry about being a 140HP Dyno King. What you want is something making over 100 TQ that comes on fairly early n' gets your big *** and that heavy bike rolling along with 90-100 HP to keep you rolling once at speed.

You can achieve that on a budget and still have essentially stocker reliability.

Start getting all crazy and you can easily twist the stock crank.

Or make yourself a $6000-$7000 125HP motor budget and go buck wild.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sash302
how many miles you have with your set up now running over 100hp? and you ride rough or you baby the bike because of the crank?any problems so far?
I heard harley improve something after 07 models for that crank?????
5k putting out 100/100+. And no, I don't baby it......I pretty much ride like I stole it. If the crank goes, then it goes. I didn't buy this damn thing to baby it. I ride it like I want to, and if I need to spend more $$$ because I broke something, then so be it. That may be the wrong attitude, and it may cost me a few more $$ in the long run....but oh, well.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:36 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
If ya' took 100 guys with 95" and 103" builds making in the 100HP range with heads cams etc..etc.. I betcha no more than 10% or 1 outta 10 have other than bone stock cranks Sasha.

Get your heads done. Find some compression. Add the appropriate cams for your riding style and dont worry about being a 140HP Dyno King. What you want is something making over 100 TQ that comes on fairly early n' gets your big *** and that heavy bike rolling along with 90-100 HP to keep you rolling once at speed.

You can achieve that on a budget and still have essentially stocker reliability.

Start getting all crazy and you can easily twist the stock crank.

Or make yourself a $6000-$7000 125HP motor budget and go buck wild.
I agree with chaz, if you like to ride big hp ain't worth squat if you're constantly working on break downs. A motor with 90-100 hp and and 100ft-lbs of torque that runs on pump gas with no reliabilty issues... a perfect setup. IMHO. Or ..like chaz says "Go buck wild"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 inch 96 hp