Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

First off Nick welcome to one big dysfunctional family. Second, it sounds like you already figured out which one you want. Spend the money if you get the new Lo and have the dealer break it in for you. All they do is put it on a dyno and get things warmed up. After that you can ride it like you stole it. Enjoy.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were you get a used bike that is newer and was owned by an adult (over lets say 40 years of age). Its a buyers market and if you buy new you are giving away your money. Get a used bike and the money you save get chrome or other extras that turn you on. Model is up to you and what your taste is. I like Deluxe's, Heritages, and Road Kings. But the Road King must me fixed up too the hilt before its a favorite of mine. Fat boys ride a little rough for me, IMHO. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
If I were you get a used bike that is newer and was owned by an adult (over lets say 40 years of age). Its a buyers market and if you buy new you are giving away your money. Get a used bike and the money you save get chrome or other extras that turn you on. Model is up to you and what your taste is. I like Deluxe's, Heritages, and Road Kings. But the Road King must me fixed up too the hilt before its a favorite of mine. Fat boys ride a little rough for me, IMHO. Just my 2 cents
I agree with this assessment with a reservation - if you're not over six foot tall, the
Road King will be a handful in slow speed / parking lot etc. stuff for a newbie. I'm an
old fart that likes comfort but got rid of my RK for a '04 Fatboy. Yes, rough single but
smooth with two up or a T-bag on the back. Just one bike - Rockyriver's Deluxe for
sure - style, low, handles and one of the easiest for a newbie to break into with. IMHO.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
sancho_panza
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Some good responses here. I rode a Kawasaki triple for a little while 20 years ago -- then nothing until a Nightster -- then a Street Bob -- and now a Fat Boy. For me, each step was a huge improvement. I'm getting smarter, too: I'm buying older, cheaper bikes each time since I can't help myself and spend beaucoup $ customizing.

There are indeed great deals out there. FWIW, I too liked the Fatboy Lo, but I knew I'd need to spend loads to black out the engine like a Night Train. Instead, I found a "used" Fatboy with only 126 miles on it -- for $6K less. That leaves me with more than enough guilt-free $ to spend on making it unique and exactly what I want.

-Ron

Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
dpd1983
Intermediate

If you plan on changing alot of stuff on your bike like alot of people do i would go cheaper!!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
07fxdb
Tourer

go for what your gut tells you. Then, no regrets. You got what you wanted

Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Like so many guys here have said from experience GO GET WHAT YOU LIKE and customize it the way you like to make it your ride.
I/ we are always concerned about the bottom line $$$ but when your out for a ride the $$$ dosen't matter the feeling of complete satifaction is what matters.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my 09 FB!!! BUT... If I would have known the LO was coming I would have waited for it. If you've got the budget for a new bike and like the LO, go for it.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Punk_Rocker
Cruiser

2010 Fatboy Lo....jump in with both feet
the waters fine

Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Punk_Rocker
Cruiser

what color?

Quick Reply: Which bike should I buy?