Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Wheel Chock To Truck Bed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

A 9' ramp is long. We just use the standard 7'-4" arched aluminum ($125) ramps at the shop to load everything from dirt bikes and mopeds to full dressers and ig metric cruisers. A folding ramp is easier to store, but ours fit in the bed of most trucks corner to opposite corner with the tailgate up. You can then run a lock through it so it doesn't walk off. A tip for loading and unloading is to back the bike up to a curb or into a low spot to significantly lessen the angle of the ramp and make loading/unloading easier. Hell, if you get the back of the truck low enough you can put the bike in first and walk it up into the truck is in the bikes power. Mounting the chock to a piece of plywood is a good idea so you don't have to drill into your bed, but you don't need to go overboard with the size. Making it wide enough to fit so it doesn't move side to side and deep enough to catch the wheel wells so it doesn't slide backward is all you need. This can also have a cable lock run through it if you are worried about it getting stolen.

I have hauled many bikes in my trucks over the years, never used a chock (at times it would have been nice) and never locked my ramp in the bed or the cab (the ones that would fit). Two 1.5" ratcheting tie downs for the front and one from side to side with one wrap through and around the rear wheel/tire at the back to keep the wheel from moving side to side does the trick. Or you can use two on the back hooked to the rear peg mounts or lower shock mounts, they don't need to be crazy tight as you want the bike to be pulled forward, not backward. I leave the rear wheel on the tailgate with no ill effects. I don't tie them down on the kickstand but straight up rather.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Kburgad
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had 800lbs of offensive lineman all sitting on my tailgate for 8 hours at a time. Never bent my tailgate if your tailgate straps are cracked or worn, replace them. They are cheap. I've hauled a fully loaded dresser with 2 weeks worth of stuff for 2 people on my 5'8" super short box with 4 straps. Never moved. I do have a spray in bed liner. I would never pull the frt suspension down til the frame is on something.